Interested in Gatekeeper project

Shubham Tiwari

Jan 23, 2019, 7:17:55 AM1/23/19
to Linux XIA
Hello,

I am Shubham from India, currently studying Computer Science and Mathematics at BITS Pilani.
I was exploring the GSOC 2018 organisations list and came across Linux XIA. I found Gatekeeper to be a very interesting project and would like to contribute to it.
Currently, I am working on a project on SDN at university, besides coursework.

I have setup and build Gatekeeper successfully. To understand Gatekeeper code I went through some of the initial sections of DPDK Programmer's guide (https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/prog_guide/). Until now, I have only skimmed through some of the Gatekeepers code and inferred that it uses DPDK library extensively.
Before I actually dive into the code, I am considering to go through some of the sample applications in DPDK docs (https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/sample_app_ug/index.html) and implementing them on my own. Is it a good way to start? Are there any better sources that I should refer to?

Thanks!

Michel Machado

Jan 23, 2019, 8:58:16 AM1/23/19
to Shubham Tiwari, Linux XIA

Hi Shubham,

   Welcome. Your background seems well aligned with our org.

   You are right, Gatekeeper uses DPDK extensively. Exploring the code of DPDK's sample applications to better understand DPDK's documentation is a good idea, but reimplementing the sample applications may not be worth at this point because depending on the project you choose (see our ideas list), you'll have other things to learn as well in order to write a strong GSoC proposal. So explores the projects in our ideas list, choose one, organize a plan to write your proposal (, and interactively write, study, write, think how to make your proposal better, write, study, write, read code, write, try things out, write, ..., and submit your proposal before the deadline. You find more advice on write a proposal here:

https://github.com/AltraMayor/XIA-for-Linux/wiki/GSoC-proposal-advice

   We are finishing up a production version of Gatekeeper; you can follow our progress here: https://github.com/AltraMayor/gatekeeper/milestone/3 . Once we are done, what should be soon, we'll focus on documenting the project to help the first production deployment. You can find all the documentation that we have already written and will write here:

https://github.com/AltraMayor/gatekeeper/wiki

Good luck!

Shubham Tiwari

Jan 31, 2019, 11:51:20 PM1/31/19
to Linux XIA
Hello all!

Thanks Michel!

I have gone through the 2019 ideas list and explored the idea of protecting the GT-GK channel. I read about digital signatures and from what I have understood, the Grantor server should generate a private and a public key pair. The public key thus generated will be distributed to the Gatekeeper. The decision packets should be digitally signed by the Grantor server using its private key and sent to the Gatekeeper, which will authenticate the packets (whether they were really sent by Grantor or not) by using the Grantors public key. To go about how to implement this, I went through the cryptodev lib doc of DPDK. They do have support for asymmetric crypto but they do not support sessionless. After a bit of searching around, it seems sessionless means authentication without storing the state of the peer, but I dont have a very clear idea about it.

1. Am I thinking in the right direction?
2. Do we need sessionless (authentication?) ?

Michel Machado

Feb 1, 2019, 3:59:51 PM2/1/19
to Shubham Tiwari, Linux XIA mailing list
1. Yes. You are on the right path.

2. For now, you won't have all answers. So investigate the options, check for possible sources of problems, and try to find out the most promising one. The direct answer to your question is yes, but you are free to explore the solution space as long as you fulfill the project specification.

Shubham Tiwari

Apr 9, 2019, 3:15:50 AM4/9/19
to Linux XIA
Hey all!

I have been busy lately and couldn't get time to explore the ideas list. Although its probably too late to apply, I was searching for Linux XIA on the list of organizations (https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations), but couldn't find it there. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Michel Machado

Apr 9, 2019, 8:07:34 AM4/9/19
to Shubham Tiwari, Linux XIA

Our Org is not participating on GSoC this year.