Latest XIA kernel build?

Vibhav Pant

May 17, 2018, 2:13:34 PM5/17/18
to Linux XIA
Hi,

Is there any way I can get a copy of the latest XIA kernel build without having to compile it myself? I'm trying to test my initial netlink code with the ether principal module but cannot get the kernel to compile because I constantly keep running out of disk space, and my laptop's CPU isn't fast enough for the build to take a reasonable amount of time. A kernel PPA would be helpful, IMO.

Vibhav

Daivik Dave

May 18, 2018, 10:31:04 AM5/18/18
to Linux XIA
I think using this https://github.com/AltraMayor/XIA-for-Linux/wiki/Debugging-the-Linux-kernel#Taking_advantage_of_the_kernel_module_mechanism on your current virtual machine might help .I haven't tried it yet but you won't need to compile the entire kernel to test your module.

Michel Machado

May 18, 2018, 3:56:15 PM5/18/18
to Daivik Dave, Linux XIA
Good suggestion, Daivik!

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 10:31 AM Daivik Dave <daivik...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think using this https://github.com/AltraMayor/XIA-for-Linux/wiki/Debugging-the-Linux-kernel#Taking_advantage_of_the_kernel_module_mechanism on your current virtual machine might help .I haven't tried it yet but you won't need to compile the entire kernel to test your module.

Pranjan Sana

May 20, 2018, 5:07:17 AM5/20/18
to Linux XIA

Hi Vibhav,

Did that work out for you? I have similar doubts. Can we setup a call between ourselves? It'd be nice if you could mail me at pranjan...@gmail.com.
Also could we create a whatsapp group for Gsoc 2018 mentees in Linux XIA ?

Michel Machado

May 21, 2018, 9:30:37 AM5/21/18
to Pranjan Sana, Linux XIA
I think that having a whatsapp group, or any other way, for you guys to meet is a great idea.

Pranjan Sana

May 21, 2018, 10:12:56 AM5/21/18
to Linux XIA
Gsoc 2018 mentees in Linux XIA,
mail me at pranjan...@gmail.com. So we could set up that whatsapp group or any other medium as soon as possible.

Daivik Dave

May 21, 2018, 12:24:36 PM5/21/18
to Linux XIA
I have sent my contact to pranjan , mentees let's meet on whatsapp.

Michel Machado

Jul 2, 2018, 2:47:24 PM7/2/18
to Daivik Dave, Linux XIA
Hi, mentees,

Has this mentee-only WhatsApp group helped? Could you share your experience with it? Would you recommend us to motivate future mentees do create their group as well?

Pranjan Sana

Jul 2, 2018, 3:03:49 PM7/2/18
to Linux XIA
Hi Michel,

I'd say GSOC is pretty much of a solitary activity where you can get pretty isolated.(by solitary I mean sitting in front of a computer for hours in your own house and not meeting up people who are in the similar situation).

Now,in that whatsapp group we get to share what's happening with the work,where everyone stands,or maybe just the future proceedings that often gets out of your mind,like a previously mentioned meeting.
And even if we are pursuing different projects,we often help out each other with pretty basic setups ,just casually ask around things that maybe you woud not want to bother your mentor about.

And,we're on first name basis with each other, so it's a friendly environment. And we plan to organise a meetup soon enough,since the three of us live pretty close and the fourth has agreed to travel the distance.

I'd say it has worked out for us so far.

Daivik Dave

Jul 4, 2018, 7:59:13 AM7/4/18
to Linux XIA
Hello Michel,
           As Pranjan said most of the things , the whatsapp group has helped us know each other better . It's good to have a non-formal environment to have conversations . We have conversations both related and non-related to GSOC and ask for some help when required . It will be good if future mentees also have some whatsapp group or any other messaging service they prefer to get to know each other .

Pranav Goswami

Jul 5, 2018, 1:55:37 AM7/5/18
to daivik...@gmail.com, Linux XIA mailing list
Hi all,

I read all of you're comments and seen that you have benefited from the what's app group, that's good !  But if you think, this kind of isolation (mentor and mentee) from the XIA community defeats the purpose of being opensource ! To truly have an open and active community we should let the community know, even if it's trivial issue. If there is something that the mentees are stuck and is a recurrent theme it should be addressed so the we can update/clarify or even add instruction (which we tough were trivial) but they didn't turn out to be. In Long run buy adding this literature/Issue we can counter many more problems and make our documentation elaborative and troubleshoot for our future audience.

A note for mentees : We are not here to Judge you or are bothered by you, we are here to work with you to help you achieve the goals you set.  As a community you're discussion with you're mentor are important and as mentors we value any discussion you have with us. If its trivial we WILL let you know and if you are stuck let US help you guide through it.  Although its not an issue but discussing amount you're self might give you the perspective of thing you would need to achieve to complete the task.

A lot of open source organization heavily rely on slack like platforms to integrate their project and communicate. It has #channels which can be used as sub thread for person who follows it  and still it would be documented. The communication gets simplified and code reviews can be made directly though GitHub integration. It gives mentor power to cross check multiple project and organization mentor more overview of students standing with his/her mentor.

I would like to know mentors/mentees view on this approach. An official active channel will go a long way for XIA community.

Pranav

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 7:59 AM Daivik Dave <daivik...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Michel,
           As Pranjan said most of the things , the whatsapp group has helped us know each other better . It's good to have a non-formal environment to have conversations . We have conversations both related and non-related to GSOC and ask for some help when required . It will be good if future mentees also have some whatsapp group or any other messaging service they prefer to get to know each other .

Pranav Goswami
Computer Science and Engineering Graduate
National Institute of Technology Bhopal (NIT-B).

Michel Machado

Jul 5, 2018, 3:21:20 PM7/5/18
to Pranav Goswami, daivik...@gmail.com, Linux XIA mailing list
I like the idea of adopting Slack to get us closer.

Pranav Goswami

Jul 5, 2018, 6:25:29 PM7/5/18
to Michel Machado, Daivik Dave, Linux XIA mailing list
Thank you Micheal for the input ! I would also like to know the view of current mentors over the same.

If that's a unanimous outcome for Slack we can create a slack group.

Sachin Paryani

Vibhav Pant

Jul 6, 2018, 3:35:11 AM7/6/18
to Pranav Goswami, Linux XIA
A Slack is a good idea. My last GSoC org used it as well, and
mentor-mentee communication was more fluid and frequent as a result.
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Linux XIA" group.

Vibhav Pant
vib...@gmail.com

saurav kumar

Jul 6, 2018, 4:07:28 AM7/6/18
to Linux XIA
Slack is a good way to connect with your colleagues and share your work progress. I think its a great idea.

Pranav Goswami

Jul 6, 2018, 6:07:42 PM7/6/18
to saurav kumar, Linux XIA mailing list
Hi Team,

I have created a slack group. Please add yourself to it and start handling youre communication there and see if it works out !

Micheal and John have been sent a administrator link to add themself. please let me know of you have any trouble joining the slack.