Newcomer Alert!!

Naveen Naidu

Jul 26, 2018, 9:10:52 PM7/26/18
to Linux XIA
Hello XIA-developers,
I am Naveen and I am a Junior  in BTech Computer Science. I am an active competitive programmer, and am also familiar with open source development. I was wandering around the internet and stumbled across Linux-XIA. I honestly loved the aim of the organisation. I feel the goal and the focus of Linux XIA is really adventurous and exciting. I really want to contribute in this project. But there are few things that I am afraid of:-

1) Is a lot of prerequisite knowledge necessary in order to be able to contribute? I completed a course on Digital Communications, so I do have a fair idea about different types of Transmission protocols. My Computer Network course has just started so i don't have much knowledge regarding the working of networks. But I am a fast learner and I pick up stuff easily.Do you think it's a good idea to pursue, or wait until I get a good knowledge about Computer Networks and then contribute?

2) I have never been exposed to working with linux kernel. Will it be a problem. If Yes, Can you please suggest me a good site where I can learn about them.

Do you think I am capable of contributing to the organisation keeping in mind the constraints mentioned above.If NO, then can you please guide me to the resources that I would have to read in order to become capable. If YES, can you please guide me to proper resources.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerly,
Naveen

Michel Machado

Jul 30, 2018, 9:55:44 AM7/30/18
to Naveen Naidu, Linux XIA
Thanks for your interest, Naveen.

The answer depends on how bad you want to grow in order to be able to contribute to ours or another open source project. Read the code, our wiki, search content online for the things you need to learn. Assume that the process will be slow and that you'll only notice growth every 3 months, or so. Here are some tips to get started:

Good luck!