GSoc19

VEMULA PRASANTH KUMAR

Sep 11, 2018, 12:27:42 PM9/11/18
to linu...@googlegroups.com
Hello ,

          This is Prasanth Kumar Vemula pursuing B.Tech second year in IIT Bhubaneshwar. I am deeply interested in development of xia projects. But I am messed up little with getting started. Please, someone give some guidance for getting into GSoc 2019 and to gain some knowledge over XIA. Right now I hope I am very good at C and have little idea on data structures and algorithms and working hard to master in data structures and algorithms right now. Please give some guidance where I could start and how to proceed and I like myself to be fit enough on basics so that I may have chances of getting into GSoc 2019 enough and I could get better ideas.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Disclaimer: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

FuQiaobin

Sep 11, 2018, 12:39:01 PM9/11/18
to VEMULA PRASANTH KUMAR, Albert Fu, linu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Prasanth,

Thank you for your interest!

The following section in our wiki is a good start:

Besides that reading past code reviews of merged pull requests is very helpful. You can find them here: https://github.com/AltraMayor/XIA-for-Linux/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed

An alternative entry point to our project is Gatekeeper, our DDoS protection system (https://github.com/AltraMayor/gatekeeper). Gatekeeper and XIA are not integrated, and this integration will take quite a while. I'm mentioning Gatekeeper for two reasons:

1. Thanks to changes that GitHub has been doing, we have made all code review of merged pull request public in the Gatekeeper repository; this was not viable in the past, so a lot of good information was lost for XIA. Reading those code reviews will teach you a lot.

2. Listing Gatekeeper's issues (https://github.com/AltraMayor/gatekeeper/issues), you'll find issues marked with the tag "good first issue", which are good small projects to get going.

Best,
Qiaobin

FuQiaobin

Sep 11, 2018, 3:59:04 PM9/11/18
to VEMULA PRASANTH KUMAR, Albert Fu, Linux XIA
You are welcome!

I think your background on data structures sounds good! For most of our projects, it requires some basic level of data structures and algorithms, like list, hash table, etc. For some other projects, like black holing, LPM, it may require some advanced data structures. If you are interested, our community can help you grow. So, feel free to ask questions about Linux XIA projects on our mailing list.

I cc’d our mailing list, because we encourage the communication going through it, so that everyone in our community can benefit from/involve the communication.

Thanks,
Qiaobin

On Sep 11, 2018, at 3:43 PM, VEMULA PRASANTH KUMAR <vp...@iitbbs.ac.in> wrote:

Thank for your support and concern.

I even have some doubts. Do I need to master in data structures and algorithms before getting started or else can I directly get into understanding XIA and start contributing.

Note: I have some idea about data structures(medium level). But I still have confidence in my C programming