Implementing blackholing in Gatekeeper

Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Mar 4, 2018, 2:01:45 AM3/4/18
to Linux XIA

Hi,

I am Prashant Kumar Prajapati, 3rd year undergraduate at IIT ISM Dhanbad.
I am interested in the project Implementing blackholing into gatekeeper.

Sorry for the late hello as I was busy with my college exams.

Till now I have completed reading the wiki on DOS and the presentation on methods for finding frequent items in data streams
I have also finished installing and setting up LINUX XIA.

Can you please help me on how to proceed from here.

Regards,
Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Qiaobin Fu

Mar 4, 2018, 1:48:29 PM3/4/18
to Linux XIA
Hi Prashant,

Glad to hear your interest in our gatekeeper black holing project! This project relates to some research on this field. I think implementing one simple algorithm and testing it is a good point for start. Once you get some confidence on this topic, you can further investigate the state-of-the-art algorithms as we listed in our project, e.g., RHHH.

Best,
Qiaobin

Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Mar 11, 2018, 2:11:24 PM3/11/18
to Linux XIA

Hi,

I implemented the space saving algorithm this week. The implementation files are in the drive folder -> Space saving Algorithm.
I chose to implement this algorithm because it showed to be performing the best experimentally in the presentation on methods for finding frequent items in data streams.
I implemented two variants of the algorithm. In the first I used an AVL tree for storing the count of numbers and in the second I implemented a hash table.
I did not have expreience in testing the algorithm with real data packets so I tested it with numbers.(Will be working on testing with real data soon).
Feedbacks are welcome.

Currenly I am studying the paper on RHHH algorithm.

Regards,
Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Qiaobin Fu

Mar 11, 2018, 3:08:22 PM3/11/18
to Linux XIA
Hi Prashant,

Glad to hear about your progress on the project! Using numbers to test the algorithms is completely fine at this stage. If you can maintain the code at GitHub, that would be great!

Moreover, I recommend to focus more on writing the project proposal in the following weeks, since we will select the students based on their proposals. Here is our advice on the proposal (https://github.com/AltraMayor/XIA-for-Linux/wiki/GSoC-proposal-advice).

Best,
Qiaobin

Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Mar 13, 2018, 2:52:48 PM3/13/18
to Linux XIA
Hi,

I have uploaded the algorithm code on github -> Space Saving Algorithm.

I have a few queries regarding implementation of the project .

First, how will I receive the IP addresses which have to be processed using the cold filter and RHHH algorithm?

Second, it has been written in the project description that all IPs to be blocked have to be announced through BGP. Do we have to implement this part in the project because it is not mentioned in the project steps.

Thirdly, can you please help me out with any relevant existing code in gatekeeper or XIA that I have to read in order to implement this project because there is not much documentation on gatekeeper.

Regards,
Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Michel Machado

Mar 14, 2018, 11:11:51 AM3/14/18
to Prashant Kumar Prajapati, Linux XIA
Hi Prashant,

Don't forget to add the GitHub link with your implementation of the space saving algorithm to your proposal.

For starters, you can assume that the IP address will come as a parameter of a function. Later in the evaluation step of your proposal, you can discuss how to obtain a list of IP addresses.

The final algorithm only needs to identify what to block. The actual blocking will be done in Gatekeeper.

There won't be enough time to read Gatekeeper's code before the deadline of your proposal, so just plan to do so in your proposal.

Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Mar 24, 2018, 1:37:33 PM3/24/18
to Linux XIA

Hi mentors,

I have finished writing my proposal draft and I have shared it via the GSoC website. The title of the proposal is Implementing blackholing in Gatekeeper and it has been shared under the category gatekeeper blackholing. Comments on the proposal will be extremely helpful.

Regards,
Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Cody Doucette

Mar 24, 2018, 7:06:28 PM3/24/18
to Prashant Kumar Prajapati, Linux XIA
Hi Prashant,

Thanks for the proposal! I just left some feedback on it.

Best,
Cody

Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Mar 25, 2018, 3:09:10 PM3/25/18
to Linux XIA
Hi Cody,

Thanks for the valuable feedback on the proposal. I have made some changes to the proposal according to your feedback. Can you please verify the changes.

Regards,
Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Qiaobin Fu

Mar 26, 2018, 12:17:05 PM3/26/18
to Linux XIA
Hi Prashant,

I think you changes according to Cody's feedback look good! I also left some more comments to your proposal.

Best,
Qiaobin

Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Mar 27, 2018, 3:40:56 AM3/27/18
to Linux XIA

Hi Qiaobin,

Thank you for your helpful comments on the proposal. I have updated the proposal according to your comments.

I also checked gk/main.c file. Based on my interpretation of how packets are received in Gatekeeper, I will have to make some changes in process_pkts_front() function to implement Cold Filter and RHHH in Gatekeeper.

The changes can be summarized as follows:
  •  After the packet information has been extracted and non-IP and non-ARP packets have been removed, I will pass the packet headers through Cold Filter and RHHH algorithm.
  • Based on the classification of the packet header as a heavy hitter or non-heavy hitter, I will drop the packet if it is a heavy hitter or will let the packet pass to be further processed by Gatekeeper.
 Can you please verify if my interpretation is correct.

Regards,
Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Mar 27, 2018, 11:18:55 AM3/27/18
to Linux XIA

Hi mentors,

I want to inform you that I have uploaded my final proposal on the GSoC website.
 I am thankful to all the mentors for trying their best to answer my queries on the project and for their valuable feedback and comments on my proposal in order to improve it

Regards,
Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Qiaobin Fu

Mar 27, 2018, 3:28:33 PM3/27/18
to Linux XIA
Sounds good! Good luck! :)

Best,
Qiaobin

Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Apr 24, 2018, 4:58:27 AM4/24/18
to Linux XIA

Hi Qiaobin,

Thanks for selecting me for GSOC 2018 :)

Currently my university exams are going on. Gladly it will be over by 25th April.
Will start working after that..

Regards,
Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Qiaobin Fu

Apr 24, 2018, 3:42:38 PM4/24/18
to Linux XIA
Hi Prashant,

Glad to work with you, and welcome to Linux XIA community!

Sure, please take time on your exams, and let me know once you are ready for moving on.

Best,
Qiaobin

Prashant Kumar Prajapati

Apr 25, 2018, 11:28:35 AM4/25/18
to Linux XIA

Hi Qiaobin,

My university exams are over now. We can start working on the project.

Regards,
Prashant Kumar Prajapati