Regarding a newcomer contribution in project and taking it up in GSOC 2019

ayush jain

Nov 25, 2018, 6:49:42 AM11/25/18
to Linux XIA

Hello everyone!!
    I am Ayush Jain Computer Science undergrad from Bangalore(India) currently in 3rd year.I am an technology enthusiast with inclination towards the Computer networks and security field  . I read about the XIA vision it was quite interesting and it will help me learn more about networks.So Please want you guys to help me get started and mention some reference materials which might be needed as well in smooth journey.

Cody Doucette

Nov 29, 2018, 6:35:41 AM11/29/18
to aj4ayu...@gmail.com, linu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ayush,

Thanks for reaching out to our group!

The best place to start is on our wiki page here: https://github.com/AltraMayor/XIA-for-Linux/wiki#how-do-i-get-started

An alternative entry point to our project is Gatekeeper, our DDoS protection system (https://github.com/AltraMayor/gatekeeper). Our group is working quite a bit with Gatekeeper at the moment and we are working on adding documentation to make it more accessible to newcomers.

For GSoC 2019, we are now still working on the project ideas, which will be published in the ideas list page (https://github.com/AltraMayor/XIA-for-Linux/wiki/Ideas-list).

Thanks,
Cody

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 6:49 AM ayush jain <aj4ayu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello everyone!!
    I am Ayush Jain Computer Science undergrad from Bangalore(India) currently in 3rd year.I am an technology enthusiast with inclination towards the Computer networks and security field  . I read about the XIA vision it was quite interesting and it will help me learn more about networks.So Please want you guys to help me get started and mention some reference materials which might be needed as well in smooth journey.

ayush jain

Feb 2, 2019, 8:35:04 AM2/2/19
to Linux XIA
Hello everyone!

Due to semester exam couldn't do much in past month.But in the past few weeks got a overview of Linux-Xia wiki and setup the VM for it and ran test-echo application.

1.) Please can you tell me are this time there are gonna be projects on feature addition or improvement to linux-xia  or not?
2.)While running the gatekeeper project i got following compilation issues or messages can anyone please direct me some guidance.
I have attached the log file as well issues while running gatekeeper.
             ~I tried assigning /etc/dpdk file directly hugepages which removed the invalid memory issue for that boot but in next boot of machine it again gave error.
            ~Couldn't figure out much on issue of network ports allocation then found rte_eth_dev_count_avail() function which returns available port issue with this or something else.
gatekeeper_log.png
Screenshot from 2019-02-02 18-43-37.png

Qiaobin Fu

Feb 3, 2019, 1:43:06 AM2/3/19
to Linux XIA
Hi Ayush,

Glad to hear about your progress!

1) Recently, we have posted our GSoC 2019 projects in our idea lists: https://github.com/AltraMayor/XIA-for-Linux/wiki/Ideas-list#2019

During this year, our projects are all focusing on Gatekeeper, which is our short-term goal.

2) To setup the hugepages, please follow the instructions on DPDK wiki: http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/linux_gsg/sys_reqs.html#running-dpdk-applications

In section 2.3.2. Use of Hugepages in the Linux Environment, it shows the detailed steps.

Moreover, the error message that you showed above is because you didn't bind the network adapters to DPDK yet. The instructions are available on our project page: https://github.com/AltraMayor/gatekeeper.

Also, make sure that you have generated the interface mappings by running the command "$ . setup.sh". Please don't forget to change the names of the interfaces (i.e., the variables front_ports and back_ports) in the file lua/net.lua to match your environment.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Best,
Qiaobin

ayush jain

Feb 10, 2019, 9:41:08 AM2/10/19
to Linux XIA
Hello Qiaobin Fu,

        Thanks for your kind assistance.

1)I am able to run the gatekeeper server but on every reboot of machine i have to

        ~bind the interfaces created to DPDK compatible driver

        ~allocate the hugepages using

                echo 1024 > /sys/kernel/mm/hugepages/hugepages-2048kB/nr_hugepages

                (I tried to setup hugepages on boot using vm.nr_hugepages parameter in /etc/sysctl.conf file but then gatekeeper is not  working
                        it's showing insertion error of rte_kni.ko module into kernel)

                PFA:-error.png file

                Read up on this but couldn't figure out issues could not find any other lead please assist me on this.
                Sorry about the inconvenience caused.

In i was not able to run grantor server because of same rte_kni.ko module insertion error in both the cases.

2). For the instance when  using echo command for hugepages gatekeeper works and it show's certain messages

    can you check and tell whether gatekeeper is correctly setup.

    PFA:- log.png file

3).Read up all the ideas for the 2019 GSOC i am interested in

        the Implementing Cross-Grantor Anti Spoofing Mechanism the spoofing and started reviewing  lua reference manual and

       will try to look into gt/main.c file am i going   in right direction Please guide me.

      Thanks in advance.

log.png
error.png

Cody Doucette

Feb 10, 2019, 4:29:31 PM2/10/19
to ayush jain, Linux XIA
Hi Ayush,

The error you are running into is expected -- it is simply saying that the rte_kni.ko kernel module is already inserted into the kernel. We actually recently added a patch that allows Gatekeeper to start even when the module is inserted, so if you like you can pull that code from the repository and re-build Gatekeeper.

You can also just issue this command before trying to start Gatekeeper:

sudo rmmod rte_kni

It is normal to have to rebind the interfaces and remount the hugepages when the computer reboots, so I would not worry about that. Overall, it looks like you are making good progress.

Best,
Cody