Testing newer kernels

Johan Helsing

Apr 16, 2013, 12:46:42 AM4/16/13
to linux...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,
I''m interested in getting involved with the development.
I would like to test newer kernels and drivers.

What needs to be modified for a kernel to work? I started looking at the patch at tf201-dev.

I assume it's a patch for this kernel?

So what would be the process to test other kernels? What's the difference between the asus kernel and the regular one?

To test, say kernel 3.8, would it work to manually go through the configuration from the JB15 version in menuconfig and apply it to 3.8?

I understand I also need a kexec guest patch to support hardboot kexec. Where do I get this?

Massimo Dragano

Apr 16, 2013, 2:53:41 AM4/16/13
to Johan Helsing, linux-tf201
hi Johan,
i'm happy to see that you want help with the kernel development.
will be great if we can run a standard and modern linux kernel on the TF201!

we have already a git repo where i pushed all the changes made to the asus kernel ( in a ordered way, not with a big patch file )
at the moment i asked to Peter John Hartman to give me a public cloning link.

i think that we have to take the "kernel_10_4_2_18.zip" kernel from asus and make a diff to the standard 3.1.10 kernel.
this should highlight the difference between a standard kernel and the asus one.

after this we have to find what of that differences are necessary for make out TF201 hardware to work and what are android-related.
the next step will be to apply the necessary changes to a standard 3.8 kernel.

i will answer you on this email as soon as Peter will give me the public cloning link.
btw, the repo is divided into this folders:
kernel_15
kernel_17
kernel_18
you can ask to Peter if he can add your rsa/ecdsa public key to the allowed ones.
so you can start working on a standard_kernel directory ( just a suggestion ).

thanks for your help!

@Peter: are you there ?

bytes!