Live boot problem

Mike

Apr 26, 2012, 10:59:16 AM4/26/12
to linux-sw...@googlegroups.com
I've downloaded and burned both the Swift Regular and Diet and I can boot (and configure ethernet) both disks on multiple machines, except the one target oldest machine. On that machine I get thhis problem with either/both disks repetitively and both iso/s passed md5 and media check:

/bin/sh: error while loading shared libraries: libc.sol.6: cannot open share ect file: no such file or directory

followed by a kernel panic, Pid, and call trace (x5) messages

That problem occurs repetitively for both disks.

Is there anything I can reconfigure with the Edit function at the boot menu to get around this?

The hardware specifics on the target machine are:

AMD K6-2 500
192 meg ram

That same machine boots AntiX and Puppies fine, but not distros which have newer cpu minimums. Also, the About page^1 indicates that the Diet model is based on AntiX and Regular on Mint DE, but it appears to me that they are both Mint DE derivatives.

http://www.swiftlinux.org/index.php/About Diet Swift Linux is antiX Linux remastered to provide more user-friendly default settings.

Jason Hsu

Apr 26, 2012, 12:53:30 PM4/26/12
to linux-sw...@googlegroups.com
I have corrected the About page on the web site.  Thanks for pointing out the outdated information for me.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to deal with your old computer that wouldn't boot up Swift Linux.  However, I can promise that version 0.2.1 will be fully updated and based on the 201204 release of LMDE.  Version 0.2.0 is derived from the 201109 edition of LMDE.  Original packages in version 0.2.0 are from last September but packages that weren't in LMDE are current.  A conflict between old and new packages MAY be the issue.  (That's just my guess.  You'll have to let me know if version 0.2.1 works with your old computer.  I plan to release it within the next few weeks.)

Mike

Apr 26, 2012, 1:33:36 PM4/26/12

On Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:53:30 AM UTC-7, Jason Hsu wrote:
I have corrected the About page on the web site.  Thanks for pointing out the outdated information for me.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to deal with your old computer that wouldn't boot up Swift Linux.

AntiX says that in order to use modern kernels on old CPU, it has to be customized^1:  I'm wondering if this is an old CPU vs modern kernel problem that manifests as a 'can't read/find' instead of a CPU error message like I get with modern distros which aren't fixed for old CPU.  Puppy also addresses the old cpu specifically and it would seem that Swift would also need to, as such CPUs would be a target for the distro.

^1 "All versions use the latest kernel available (3.2.9) - customised for antiX to allow booting with PI and AMD K5/K6 CPUs." http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page#News

However, I can promise that version 0.2.1 will be fully updated and based on the 201204 release of LMDE.  Version 0.2.0 is derived from the 201109 edition of LMDE.  Original packages in version 0.2.0 are from last September but packages that weren't in LMDE are current.  A conflict between old and new packages MAY be the issue.  (That's just my guess.  You'll have to let me know if version 0.2.1 works with your old computer.  I plan to release it within the next few weeks.)

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Mike

Apr 26, 2012, 2:58:29 PM4/26/12
Mike wrote:

AntiX says that in order to use modern kernels on old CPU, it has to be customized^1:  I'm wondering if this is an old CPU vs modern kernel problem that manifests as a 'can't read/find' instead of a CPU error message like I get with modern distros which aren't fixed for old CPU.  Puppy also addresses the old cpu specifically and it would seem that Swift would also need to, as such CPUs would be a target for the distro.

The error message of an old cpu like AMD K2 500 trying to boot a newer kernel is about cmov:

This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:

cmov

Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

Altho' I'm not getting that error message with either Swift, I wonder if Swift's kernel requires cmov and if it does, if there is some way to customize the kernel however AntiX did it.  I'm currently downloading 0.1.2 Diet to see if it will boot without the error if it is based on AntiX

Mike

Apr 26, 2012, 4:13:00 PM4/26/12
 Mike wrote:

The error message of an old cpu like AMD K2 500 trying to boot a newer kernel is about cmov:

This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:

cmov

Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

antiX-M11-486 boots OK, does not error.

Swift Diet 0.1.2 based on anti-X (version?)  does not boot, but gives the cmov error message which the later 0.2.0 Swifts do not, they error out without mentioning cmov.

Mike

Apr 26, 2012, 8:54:45 PM4/26/12
Mike wrote:

antiX-M11-486 boots OK, does not error.

Just to report on which kernels boot on this hardware:

The above anti-X is linux 2.6.36-1-mepis

Also boots 2 different Puppies chosen for kernels in that range:

Puppy Lucid 5.2.5    linux 2.6.33.2 i586
Puppy Slacko 5.3.1   linux 2.6.37.6 i586

Since this googlegroup is actually supposed to be about the Swift 0.2.0, I should report my hardware which is not quite so old which Swift does boot, including an AMD Geode NX 1750.and an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ and an AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+

It seems that the Swift's kernel should be an appropriate vintage to work in the oldest machine, because it reports as 2.6.39.2-486  (but Machine i686) -- I wonder if that means the kernel was compiled or optimized for i686; if so, maybe for my oldest hardware it would be better at i586.  I don't know much of anything about all that, but the kernel's .39 is a few clicks above/ newer than/ the .33, .36, and .37 that do boot, and the i686 is definitely different than the i586 for the Puppies.

Jason Hsu

Apr 27, 2012, 12:57:56 AM4/27/12
to linux-sw...@googlegroups.com
Mike, thanks for the insights.  Is the kernel the reason that LMDE won't boot on that old computer but antiX Linux did?  Is there a way to add driver support without having to change the kernel?  (I have no experience with that.)

Mike, if you think there is a way to improve Swift Linux support for Windows 98 era computers, I'd like you to join the development team.

If Swift Linux is forced to choose between supporting Windows XP/Ubuntu 10.04 LTS users vs. supporting Windows 98/Puppy Linux users, then the former group has to take priority.  Puppy Linux would be perfect if it were fully compatible with the Debian software repository, but I don't have the know-how to make that happen.  antiX Linux would be perfect if it had the superior hardware/driver/codec support of LMDE, but I don't have the know-how to make that happen either.  Swift Linux will be the quicker replacement for Windows XP and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Mike

Apr 27, 2012, 10:22:57 AM4/27/12
On Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:57:56 PM UTC-7, Jason Hsu wrote:
Mike, thanks for the insights.  Is the kernel the reason that LMDE won't boot on that old computer but antiX Linux did?

I don't know; all I know is the error I see which I don't understand how to interpret.  It doesn't seem that Swift kernel is so much different from the ones which boot.  It turns out that now that I have tested the Slacko 5.3.1 Puppy a little more and see how it works on newer hardware compared to the old K6-2 cpu, it doesn't work very well in the old hardware, but the Lucid 5.2.5 is a good fit for it.  That is, slacko boots but it doesn't work very well there.

Is there a way to add driver support without having to change the kernel?  (I have no experience with that.)

I don't know the answer.

Mike, if you think there is a way to improve Swift Linux support for Windows 98 era computers, I'd like you to join the development team.

I don't have enough insight to be helpful in that regard.

If Swift Linux is forced to choose between supporting Windows XP/Ubuntu 10.04 LTS users vs. supporting Windows 98/Puppy Linux users, then the former group has to take priority.

I believe you are correct in that assessment.  Most people are going to have newer hardware than that model.  Win98 and Puppy are a good fit for it.  It could also run some kind of slim XP, but a slim linux is a better idea. I'm happy that I can use the vanilla Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 with it.  There is also a retro version puppy which uses the kernel from Puppy 4.3.1 and integrates features of 5.2.5 for those who have some hardware incompatibilities I don't have.

Puppy Linux would be perfect if it were fully compatible with the Debian software repository, but I don't have the know-how to make that happen.

Puppy has their own way of making a lot of software work.  I think your idea of Mint Debian is a good one.

antiX Linux would be perfect if it had the superior hardware/driver/codec support of LMDE, but I don't have the know-how to make that happen either.  Swift Linux will be the quicker replacement for Windows XP and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

antiX is also a good project.

Best of luck and thanks for your input

JEMS EBERHARD HORBEL

Jun 23, 2023, 12:11:03 AM6/23/23
to linux-swift-users
DIRECT SENDER IS HERE LETS DEAL.

JENS EBERHARD

MT103/202 DIRECT WIRE TRANSFER
PAYPAL TRANSFER
CASHAPP TRANSFER
ZELLE TRANSFER
TRANSFER WISE
WESTERN UNION TRANSFER
BITCOIN FLASHING
BANK ACCOUNT LOADING/FLASHING
IBAN TO IBAN TRANSFER
MONEYGRAM TRANSFER
SLBC PROVIDER
CREDIT CARD TOP UP
SEPA TRANSFER
WIRE TRANSFER
GLOBALPAY INC US

Thanks.

NOTE; ONLY SERIOUS / RELIABLE RECEIVERS CAN CONTACT.

DM ME ON WHATSAPP FOR A SERIOUS DEAL.

+44 7756 961978