Swift booting from USB?

kilotux

Apr 28, 2012, 4:51:15 PM4/28/12
to linux-sw...@googlegroups.com
Which method will successfully write Swift Linux to a USB-Stick which is bootable?

Thanks for reply
kilotux

Jason Hsu

Apr 29, 2012, 12:00:56 AM4/29/12
to linux-sw...@googlegroups.com
I plan to add the antiX Linux install-to-USB script to Swift Linux.  I haven't looked at that script yet.

asaf hacohen

Apr 29, 2012, 4:37:47 PM4/29/12
to linux-sw...@googlegroups.com
hi - I used "UNetbootin"( in ubuntu machine)  to creat a bootable usb drive.
there is also a windows version..
I works just fine.

Assaf

Jos Gottschalk

May 7, 2012, 12:56:53 PM5/7/12
to linux-sw...@googlegroups.com

Op maandag 30 april 2012 04:37:47 UTC+8 schreef Assaf het volgende:

Tried also Unetbootin, but even if it says "persistent", it is not,

Really looking forward to you script that makes usb stick bootable, if possible Grub4dos..

I like this distro a lot because it is the first that does not overheat my old notebook when I play videos.

 Thanks.

George Endrulat

May 14, 2012, 4:43:27 PM5/14/12
to linux-sw...@googlegroups.com
Now all of this is easily done with unetbootin or other easier tools, but if you want to do it the hard way...

Most USB sticks come pre-configured with a single FAT16 partition, you probably won't have to repartition or reformat the stick. If you have to do that anyway, use cfdisk or any other partitioning tool to create a FAT16 partition, and then create the filesystem using:

# mkdosfs /dev/sda1

sda1 being your usb stick

Take care that you use the correct device name for your USB stick. The mkdosfs command is contained in the dosfstools Debian package.

In order to start the kernel after booting from the USB stick, we will put a boot loader on the stick. Although any BootLoader (e.g. LILO) should work, it's convenient to use SYSLINUX, since it uses a FAT16 partition and can be reconfigured by just editing a text file. Any operating system which supports the FAT file system can be used to make changes to the configuration of the boot loader.

To put SYSLINUX on the FAT16 partition on your USB stick, install the syslinux and mtools packages on your system, and do:

# syslinux /dev/sda1

Again, take care that you use the correct device name. The partition must not be mounted when starting SYSLINUX. This procedure writes a boot sector to the partition and creates the file ldlinux.sys which contains the boot loader code.

Mount the partition (mount /dev/sda1 /mnt) and copy the following files from the Debian/Swift archives to the stick:

vmlinuz (kernel binary)

initrd.gz (initial ramdisk image)

syslinux.cfg (SYSLINUX configuration file)

Optional kernel modules

If you want to rename the files, please note that SYSLINUX can only process DOS (8.3) file names.

The syslinux.cfg configuration file should contain the following two lines:

default vmlinuz
append initrd
=initrd.gz

Adding an ISO image:

The installer will look for a Swift ISO image on the stick as its source for additional data needed for the installation. So your next step is to copy it to the usb stick. The file name of the image must end in .iso.

When you are done, unmount the USB memory stick (umount /mnt) and activate its write protection switch.

Booting the USB stick

Warning If your system refuses to boot from the memory stick, the stick may contain an invalid master boot record (MBR). To fix this, use the install-mbr command from the package mbr :

# sudo apt-get install mbr
# fdisk -l (to find out which device is your flash drive)
# install-mbr /dev/sda

Jos Gottschalk

May 15, 2012, 10:25:53 AM5/15/12
to linux-sw...@googlegroups.com

Jos Gottschalk

May 15, 2012, 10:29:56 AM5/15/12
to linux-sw...@googlegroups.com

Op dinsdag 15 mei 2012 04:43:27 UTC+8 schreef George Endrulat het volgende:
Now all of this is easily done with unetbootin or other easier tools, but if you want to do it the hard way...

Jos Gottschalk

May 15, 2012, 10:34:22 AM5/15/12
to linux-sw...@googlegroups.com

Jos Gottschalk

Swaphead

Oct 14, 2012, 5:15:14 PM10/14/12
to linux-sw...@googlegroups.com

 All I did was to disconnect the hard-drive inside the PC, stick in a USB and boot the live CD.
 The installer could only "see" the USB and was happy to install Swift Linux on it, like it would on an internal hard-drive.
 It works fine.

JEMS EBERHARD HORBEL

Jun 23, 2023, 12:02:44 AM6/23/23
to linux-swift-users
DIRECT SENDER IS HERE LETS DEAL.

JENS EBERHARD

MT103/202 DIRECT WIRE TRANSFER
PAYPAL TRANSFER
CASHAPP TRANSFER
ZELLE TRANSFER
TRANSFER WISE
WESTERN UNION TRANSFER
BITCOIN FLASHING
BANK ACCOUNT LOADING/FLASHING
IBAN TO IBAN TRANSFER
MONEYGRAM TRANSFER
SLBC PROVIDER
CREDIT CARD TOP UP
SEPA TRANSFER
WIRE TRANSFER
GLOBALPAY INC US

Thanks.

NOTE; ONLY SERIOUS / RELIABLE RECEIVERS CAN CONTACT.

DM ME ON WHATSAPP FOR A SERIOUS DEAL.

+44 7756 961978