New Type Cover keyboard usb identifier

Patrick Michaud

Jun 17, 2015, 12:27:56 AM6/17/15
to linux-...@googlegroups.com
Passing along some information in the hopes that it'll migrate upstream and to other sources.

I just purchased a Surface Pro 3 over the weekend, along with a Surface Pro Type Cover.  Using a USB keyboard I was able to install Kubuntu 15.04 on it without any difficulties, but the Type Cover keyboard failed to work.  (Trackpad works, no keyboard).  Many other people had reported that the Type Cover keyboard worked fine with stock Ubuntu 15.04, but mine wasn't working.

After a little investigation I determined that my Type Cover has a different USB product ID than the one that is in the current kernel sources.  The kernel sources (3.19 and later) show a vendor id of "045e" and a product id of "07dc", but the Type Cover I purchased has a product id of "07e2".

Modifying the (3.19.0) kernel with the new product id gets my keyboard working (drivers/hid/hid-ids.h).

I suspect I've ended up with a newer keyboard somehow that has a different USB id than previous keyboards.  The part number on the box is still RD2-00080.  The Lot No/Date is listed as "1516" and the Model Number is 1709.

I'll be glad to provide more details if it'll be useful, or to post this somewhere that it can eventually make it into kernel sources.

Pm

Donavan Lance

Jun 17, 2015, 11:34:18 AM6/17/15
to linux-...@googlegroups.com
Someone else notified me recently of the new Type Cover id. He's located in Australia. Are you also in Australia? I'm only asking because I'm wondering if this new Type Cover is regional or not. I know that the Japanese Type Cover uses an id that is different than the North America Type Cover, so this may be similar.

Wout Mertens

Jun 18, 2015, 3:12:43 PM6/18/15
to Donavan Lance, linux-...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like a bug should be filed at https://bugzilla.kernel.org/

Patrick R. Michaud

Jun 22, 2015, 4:48:11 PM6/22/15
to Donavan Lance, linux-...@googlegroups.com
I'm in Texas; I obtained my Type Cover new from a bricks-and-mortar big
box chain in Frisco, TX so I'm doubtful it's a regional sort of thing.

There's nothing on the box that indicates the keyboard is anything other
than a RD2-00080 (the part number for North American Type Covers).

Pm

Patrick R. Michaud

Jun 22, 2015, 5:01:13 PM6/22/15
to Wout Mertens, Donavan Lance, linux-...@googlegroups.com

Mario Harvey

Jul 22, 2015, 6:02:20 PM7/22/15
to Linux Surface, wout.m...@gmail.com, tuskl...@gmail.com, pmic...@pobox.com
 I had this same issue. I ended up creating a patch based on some other things I have seen that works with the latest Ubuntu 15.04 kernel.