Using the Linux Devicetrees for the D1

Brandon Cheo Fusi

Oct 23, 2023, 6:45:27 AM10/23/23
to linux-sunxi
Hi everyone,

After coming across this line
    `Use the devicetree provided in RAM by the platform firmware (for U-Boot, this
     means $fdtcontroladdr). Do not load a DTB from storage`

at [1], and the discussion at [2], I've started to wonder what the use of devicetrees for D1 boards in Linux Mainline is. Why have them if one is restricted to only using U-Boot's devicetree ??

Regards,
Brandon.

Samuel Holland

Oct 23, 2023, 2:21:53 PM10/23/23
to fusibr...@gmail.com, linux-sunxi
Hi Brandon,

On 10/23/23 05:45, Brandon Cheo Fusi wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> After coming across this line
> `Use the devicetree provided in RAM by the platform firmware (for
> U-Boot, this means $fdtcontroladdr). Do not load a DTB from storage`
>
> at [1], and the discussion at [2], I've started to wonder what the use
> of devicetrees for D1 boards in Linux Mainline is. Why have them if one
> is restricted to only using U-Boot's devicetree ??

The devicetree source is maintained in the Linux repository because that
is where the binding documentation, schemas, and validation tools are.
The minor detail that there's also source code for an operating system
in that repository is irrelevant. The intention is to copy updates from
the Linux repository to the U-Boot repository after each stable release.
This ensures that the devicetrees exported by U-Boot will always conform
to a stable binding.

Regards,
Samuel