[Need Guidance] - Seeking head start pointer in Kernel Open source contribution

Rutvij Trivedi

Jan 27, 2023, 10:47:22 AM1/27/23
to linux-sunxi
Hi,

I am Rutvij  - newbie in open source area and following v4l2 community of Linux Kernel,

I am enthusiastic about the open source contribution.

I just want to request that, I am not able to figure out where should I get the issues and try to fix them and start contributing.

I do have sunxi (H5) hardware available, can anyone advise/suggest anything to take up as a head start ?

Appreciate your help.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Rutvij H Trivedi

Andre Przywara

Jan 31, 2023, 7:14:43 PM1/31/23
to Rutvij Trivedi, linux-sunxi
On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 00:34:52 -0800 (PST)
Rutvij Trivedi <rutvijtr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Rutvij,

> I am Rutvij - newbie in open source area and following v4l2 community of
> Linux Kernel,
>
> I am enthusiastic about the open source contribution.
>
> I just want to request that, I am not able to figure out where should I get
> the issues and try to fix them and start contributing.

One approach could be to just try to do things on your hardware, and
see what works and if there are any problems, then trying to diagnose
and fix them. You would be surprised how many issues you can find this
way. This could be as simple as running a Linux distribution, and for
instance trying to play back a video file.

Some known shortcomings and TODO items are listed on the linux-sunxi
Wiki's Linux mainlining effort page:
https://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort#Work_In_Progress

Since you mentioned v4l2 and H5, it looks like HDMI audio support for
the H5 is still missing, for instance, although there are patches
out there. You could pick them up, and push them for mainlining.

Another issue that popped up lately is USB-OTG support. Most H5 boards
seem to have a properly wired micro-USB socket, so you could try if
switching between host and peripheral mode works (I guess it doesn't).
Then try to find the problem - between the USB PHY, the MUSB driver, and
the generic Linux OTG code.

If you have any questions, I suggest you join the #linux-sunxi IRC
channel on OFTC: https://www.oftc.net/
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use the web service:
https://webchat.oftc.net/
There are logs of previous conversations here:
https://oftc.irclog.whitequark.org/linux-sunxi/

Cheers,
Andre