Any documented differences between the A33 and the R16 ??

Cheo Fusi

Sep 26, 2022, 6:12:22 AM9/26/22
to linux-sunxi
Hi everyone.

I'd like to know if anyone has noticed and or documented any differences in behaviour between the A33 and R16 SoCs.

I have a BPI M2 Magic board with the R16, another with the A33 and an image (mainline u-boot + kernel)  that always boots neatly on the former but hangs at the SPL to u-boot transition about 50% of the time on the latter.

The same image did not boot at all on the A33 until the DRAM CLK in u-boot was reduced from 600 to 456. Reducing it further doesn't make the boot hang go away. The legacy 3.4 kernel uses 552 for this board.

Could this be entirely due to the DRAM config ?? Are there other configs I should be thinking about that depend on some significant difference between these 2 pin-compatible chips ?? Any pointers are very much welcome.

Brandon.