Bare Metal development

J Decker

Jul 15, 2019, 7:42:06 AM7/15/19
to linux-rockchip
Sorry, I'm sort of a noob on ARM, but am a long time developer.

Is there like modules like say an ethernet driver I could add to assembly a tiny kernel?
I got ARM Studio to play with; but that doesn't have a lot of 'system', just a C api apparently, and I'm not exactly sure what I'm building with that.  (like what the product is, and where I would put it to run it).

I'm considering doing something silly like making a DOS64 (which really wouldn't be DOS) but would provide INT21 -like executive services... and probably use a more modern file system like EXT*.

I have this tiny RTOS I wrote back in the 90's, and it had a TCP stack, and a low level driver for some western digital card...

but seems like ARM SoC Platforms would have a nice, limited(?), set of devices available?
And probably in reality I'll end up settling for using linux and all of its excess (really think it could be slimmed down).

The other thing I'd consider is porting https://github.com/NodeOS/NodeOS (which is Linux + Node, much like Android is Linux + Java, but moreso because binutils are JS scripts. )