Switching over Simon...

Xetheriel Angelknight

Dec 17, 2009, 10:07:40 PM12/17/09
to linux-dai...@googlegroups.com
Simon is my web server, and has, since its inception run Windows. (yes, yes, for shame)

Tonight I am switching it over to Linux, finally.

I will also have to work on moving all my existing sites from ASP to PHP... painstaking.

I know some of you guys are Linux admin types. Anything I should know about managing an Apache server so I can keep it up and online and secure?

Thomas

Joseph Brower

Dec 18, 2009, 10:22:05 AM12/18/09
to linux-dai...@googlegroups.com
Keep your server patched, remove excess services, use good passwords, if
using SSH, use key based authentication. That's where I would start.

Take care,

Joseph

Amadensor

Dec 21, 2009, 4:12:32 PM12/21/09
to Linux Dairy Council
If you install everything from the official package repository, rather
than from source or downloading the package somewhere, it will help
because you will be able to see the updates more easily.

Xetheriel Angelknight

Dec 22, 2009, 7:11:42 PM12/22/09
to linux-dai...@googlegroups.com
I actually installed directly from an Ubuntu Server disk.

So here we go... for at least a small chuckle, before and after server stats:

Hardware (unchanged):
PIII 550, 128MB ram, 20 gig hard drive (yes... a little dated).

Software (before):
Windows 2000 Server
IIS 5.0, Perl, PHP, ASP.NET, 7 subdomains.
SQL Server 2005 Express
1gig page file.
100% physical ram usage, 65% page file usage, 85% disk usage, and almost always 5-10% processor usage.

Software (after):
Ubuntu Server 9.10
Apache, PHP, MySQL, 3 subdomains (so far)
1 gig swap partition
35% physical ram usage, 0% swap usage, <10% disk usage, <1% processor usage when idle.

That, my friends, is a very big difference. I've reclaimed like... 12-14 gig of disk space by *NOT* running windows anymore.

Thanks for your help. Ubuntu Server takes care of my updates for me automatically.

Before this change, I was thinking I was gonna have to update my servers hardware. Now I'm thinking that Simon will forever be the little PIII headless server in my basement. It'll prolly keep doing its job for years to come without complaint.

Thomas

Amadensor

Dec 23, 2009, 3:36:09 PM12/23/09
to Linux Dairy Council
By installing from the official repositories, I meant the CD as well
as the network repositories. Basically, use apt-get or synaptic or
adept, instead of building from source or installing .deb files that
you downloaded. This way the updates will come along automatically.

You can build the other way, but it puts the burden for updating the
packages,and knowing that there are updates to be had, on you rather
than on the vast network of maintainers and other users. Basically,
use the built in package management tools unless you are an advanced
admin.