Openoffice.org's market share goal WAS: Free Software Foundation Drums Up Community Team

Beth Lynn Eicher

Dec 10, 2009, 9:33:44 PM12/10/09
to linux-dai...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Christian Einfeldt <einf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
>> Check out there wiki and download the 5 year plan. Note: They are 4
>> years into a 5 year plan. By the end of 2010 they aim to have majority
>> market share for office suites.
>
> This must be a typo.  I can't imagine that the OOo marketing team would hope
> to reach 25% by 31 December 2010, let alone 51%.
>
> Anyone have any idea as to what OOo's global market share is?  I am guessing
> 10%.

I did not typo. Truly a bold prediction...
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Strategic_Marketing_Plan#Goals_and_Objectives

From what I hear, things are really picking up steam in Europe and
South America. With over a million downloads per week, I doubt that
people opt to download 1.2gigabytes with zero intention of installing.

> --

Thanks,

Beth Lynn Eicher

Christian Einfeldt

Dec 10, 2009, 11:24:37 PM12/10/09

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Beth Lynn Eicher <bethlyn...@gmail.com> wrote:

I did not typo. Truly a bold prediction...
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Strategic_Marketing_Plan#Goals_and_Objectives

I must be reading that chart wrong.  I read it as showing that OOo has 40% market share as of the end of 2009 (1 billion PCs and OOo at 400 million installs).  At the rate of increase of 1 million downloads per week, that only gets OOo to about 452 million installs by the end of 2010 at the current rate.  It would almost require the download rate to double to 2 million per week beginning Jan 1, 2010, to read the mark of 500 million by the end of 2010.

Also, it seems that even the OOo marketing team says that 40% is the goal, not 50%:

"Today, there are estimated to be around 600 million PCs in use; by 2010, the number could be over 1,000 million(41); Based on these figures and a 50% selection rate by 2010, OpenOffice.org’s target is to be installed on over 400 million desktops by the end of 2010, a market share of over 40%:  "

Still, Beth makes a good point.  Even 40% of the market is a good goal.

It would be interesting to see if the rate of growth shown on that chart is still current as of today.  I seems as if that page was written in 2004 or 2005 at the latest, because it doesn't seem to reference any studies after 2004.  The quote above is the best example, because it says, "Today ... 600 million PCs..." and the 600 million PCs are projected for 2004.  Another example:

"However, if the Community’s usage goals are being met, OpenOffice.org should be featured increasingly in independent surveys of the office suite market, press coverage, etc. There are some examples of this already in North American studies: the SME Market (6% market share July 2003)(42), and the large business market (8% March 2004)(43). "

Thanks for pointing us to that chart, Beth.  It's really interesting.  :-)

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier

Dec 11, 2009, 6:56:04 AM12/11/09
to linux-dai...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Beth Lynn Eicher
<bethlyn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From what I hear, things are really picking up steam in Europe and
> South America. With over a million downloads per week, I doubt that
> people opt to download 1.2gigabytes with zero intention of installing.

Actually...

Well, as written you're entirely right - people don't download 1.2GB
with "zero intention" of installing something.

But, as a free download I think you probably see a lot of the following:

* Download with the intention of installing, but never get around to it.
* Install, but never actually use the software.
* Use the software, but don't commit to using it long-term.

At least I know this happens with me with quite a few programs, and
anecdotally I hear the same things at conferences and so on regarding
Linux. There's a lot of downloading, but there's no guarantee that a
download leads to full-time use by any stretch.

The OpenOffice folks talk about cumulative download numbers on the
front page: "On October 28th. 2009, the one hundred millionth person
clicked on the Download OpenOffice.org button since version 3.0"

In that time, how many releases of OO.org have they pushed out,
counting minor updates & so on?

And that number doesn't count the copies of OO.org distributed by
Linux distros, or downloads of NeoOffice or other OO.org-based
products...

It's too bad there's no way to track usage of OO.org the way you can
track usage of Web browsers. I'd dearly love to know what the actual
usage of OO.org in the wild is.

Best,

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <j...@zonker.net>
openSUSE Community Manager

Mackenzie Morgan

Dec 17, 2009, 7:44:59 PM12/17/09
On Friday 11 December 2009 6:56:04 am Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> Well, as written you're entirely right - people don't download 1.2GB
> with "zero intention" of installing something.
>
> But, as a free download I think you probably see a lot of the following:
>
> * Download with the intention of installing, but never get around to it.
> * Install, but never actually use the software.
> * Use the software, but don't commit to using it long-term.

But on the other hand, you've got people like me who keep Windows installers
for OOo, Firefox, GIMP, etc. on a flash drive and go around installing them for
people, so one download may become 10+ installs.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Christian Einfeldt

Dec 17, 2009, 11:11:30 PM12/17/09

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <mac...@gmail.com> wrote:

But on the other hand, you've got people like me who keep Windows installers
for OOo, Firefox, GIMP, etc. on a flash drive and go around installing them for
people, so one download may become 10+ installs.

And I admin about 85 machines, all of which get OOo from the repos.