Advice for a Gnubie

P.T.L.

Jan 26, 2010, 4:59:37 PM1/26/10
to Linux Dairy Council
So, i've been trying to get into linux, but i've been having trouble.
the problem seems to be starting off in the wrong place, as my
experiments with OpenSuSE, Solaris and Ubuntu seem to reveal. However,
i've finally found a good starting point in MINT, and have just set up
with updates. I used my sort-of-old Gateway MX6930 for it (i don't
want to demolish my existing operating systems --a certain closed
source one-- from my main computer or laptop, i still need that
compatibility right now. i'll build a proper linux system once i have
money to.) as the laptop to install it on and it seems like a nice
setup. What do you guys (who have likely been using UNIX and it's
heirs since before i was born) advise i do to start?

Christian Einfeldt

Jan 26, 2010, 5:23:30 PM1/26/10
to linux-dai...@googlegroups.com, evang...@gmail.com
hi,

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 1:59 PM, P.T.L. <evang...@gmail.com> wrote:
What do you guys (who have likely been using UNIX and it's
heirs since before i was born) advise i do to start?

I'm not sure that I understand your question.  It sounds like you already have Linux Mint installed.  It would help if you had a more specific question.

It sounds like your question is "how do I familiarize myself with Linux Mint".  I would say start really simple things, like OpenOffice and then move to slightly more complex things like the GIMP.  The GIMP is really awesome.  It has all of the power of Adobe Photoshop.  Once you start playing with it, you will really be amazed.

Does that address your question?

P.T.L.

Jan 26, 2010, 6:27:25 PM1/26/10
to Linux Dairy Council
Yeah, i have to admit i worded that badly. I have experience with the
--certain closed-source OS-- versions of GIMP and Openoffice, they are
great. i was also asking about documents and sites that would help me
learn more about the internal workings of linux.

On Jan 26, 4:23 pm, Christian Einfeldt <einfe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,

Richard Brook

Jan 26, 2010, 5:35:03 PM1/26/10
to linux-dai...@googlegroups.com
I like Ubuntu and Ubuntu Ultimate Edition.

Rich Brook
byro...@gmail.com

Ken Starks

Jan 26, 2010, 7:17:36 PM1/26/10
to linux-dai...@googlegroups.com
anything you could possibly need or want to know about Linux can be found at http://www.brunolinux.com.  It has a fantastic amount of well presented info.

"A child's exposure to technology should never be predicated on the ability to pay for it."

P.T.L.

Jan 26, 2010, 9:00:43 PM1/26/10
to Linux Dairy Council
Thanks! i actually had a lot of fun setting up my MintTop with
software and tinkering around with it, whether it be more complicated
things or just sitting around at the console guffawing at FORTUNE.
i've also been reading up at the Jargon File to learn a bit more about
historical UNIX, etc.

On Jan 26, 6:17 pm, Ken Starks <hel...@fixedbylinux.com> wrote:
> anything you could possibly need or want to know about Linux can be found athttp://www.brunolinux.com.  It has a fantastic amount of well presented

> info.
>
> "A child's exposure to technology should never be predicated on the ability
> to pay for it."
>

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 5:27 PM, P.T.L. <evangag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yeah, i have to admit i worded that badly. I have experience with the
> > --certain closed-source OS-- versions of GIMP and Openoffice, they are
> > great. i was also asking about documents and sites that would help me
> > learn more about the internal workings of linux.
>
> > On Jan 26, 4:23 pm, Christian Einfeldt <einfe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > hi,

> > > I'm not sure that I understand your question.  It sounds like you already
> > > have Linux Mint installed.  It would help if you had a more specific
> > > question.
>
> > > It sounds like your question is "how do I familiarize myself with Linux
> > > Mint".  I would say start really simple things, like OpenOffice and then
> > > move to slightly more complex things like the GIMP.  The GIMP is really
> > > awesome.  It has all of the power of Adobe Photoshop.  Once you start
> > > playing with it, you will really be amazed.
>
> > > Does that address your question?
>
> > --

> > linux-dairy-cou...@googlegroups.com<linux-dairy-council%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Thomas Stratford

Jan 26, 2010, 10:18:04 PM1/26/10
to linux-dai...@googlegroups.com
I would have to agree with Ken on this note.

I only got heavily into Linux a few years back myself, and loved that site.

Remember, as long as you are willing to learn, there is no shame in being a "newbie". :)

Thomas

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 5:27 PM, P.T.L. <evang...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah, i have to admit i worded that badly. I have experience with the
--certain closed-source OS-- versions of GIMP and Openoffice, they are
great. i was also asking about documents and sites that would help me
learn more about the internal workings of linux.

On Jan 26, 4:23 pm, Christian Einfeldt <einfe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 1:59 PM, P.T.L. <evangag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What do you guys (who have likely been using UNIX and it's
> > heirs since before i was born) advise i do to start?
>
> I'm not sure that I understand your question.  It sounds like you already
> have Linux Mint installed.  It would help if you had a more specific
> question.
>
> It sounds like your question is "how do I familiarize myself with Linux
> Mint".  I would say start really simple things, like OpenOffice and then
> move to slightly more complex things like the GIMP.  The GIMP is really
> awesome.  It has all of the power of Adobe Photoshop.  Once you start
> playing with

Bruce Wagner

Jan 27, 2010, 3:17:08 AM1/27/10
to linux-dai...@googlegroups.com

On this page, http://ourgift.weebly.com/books.html ....I've posted links to two eBooks that should each provide you with many hours of fun.... as you learn "what this baby can do".... :)

Have fun!

Also, I am VERY happy to answer questions.  Please feel free to call me any time.... 646-368-0000

Bruce Wagner
New York City

P.T.L.

Jan 28, 2010, 11:28:41 PM1/28/10
to Linux Dairy Council
I've set myself up with a little "Cheat Sheet" i made on a pack of
cards (yes, playing cards. The Aces offered enough room to do it, plus
Playing Cards are nice and portable.) with info on stopping runaway
processes, etc. and that MAN = HELP.