Why Linux on the Desktop is Wrong

GNUguy

Jan 12, 2010, 9:35:56 PM1/12/10
to Linux Dairy Council

A different perspective by Walter V. Koenning for the Reallylinux.com
OPINION/EDITORIAL section.

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/linuxondesktopwrong.shtml

From the article...

So why argue whether Linux on the desktop is ready?

I submit to you that this question does little more than distract from
the reality that Linux as an OS is already uniquely poised.

We know that Linux desktop environments have been slow for adoption
among vendors and users.

People shy away from Linux, even to this day, even with the
exceptional quality of available desktops, because:

1. There is an illusion of incompatibility,

2. Microsoft remains the key marketing and relationship master for the
desktop.

Instead of rehashing the question of desktop viability, I propose we
focus our efforts on moving people to OSS applications. This general
movement to OSS applications over time resolves that illusion of
incompatibility.

Ken Hess

Jan 13, 2010, 8:27:50 AM1/13/10
to Linux Dairy Council
Didn't that guy play Chekov on the original Star Trek series? ;-)

GNUguy

Jan 13, 2010, 8:45:31 AM1/13/10
to Linux Dairy Council

I consider myself an original Trekkie (a fan from when it first aired
back in the 60's). I'm embarrassed to admit that his name went right
past me.

I think Chekov was Koenig, but that's still amusing.