The Linux Commercial Contest

1 view

GNUguy

Jan 6, 2010, 5:40:15 PM1/6/10
to Linux Dairy Council

Larry Cafiero

Jan 6, 2010, 5:51:04 PM1/6/10
to linux-dai...@googlegroups.com
It's funny that he proposes this on the heels of the Linux Foundation's contest several months ago and other efforts to promote GNU/Linux.

But then, I've never considered Ken Hess the sharpest spoon in the drawer, either.

Larry Cafiero

Alan Pope

Jan 6, 2010, 5:54:34 PM1/6/10
2010/1/6 Larry Cafiero <larry....@gmail.com>:

> It's funny that he proposes this on the heels of the Linux Foundation's
> contest several months ago and other efforts to promote GNU/Linux.

10 days (of which less than 4 are left) isn't exactly a long time to
be creative. Seems somewhat doomed.

I hadn't even heard about it until this mail, so clearly getting the
word out failed.

Cheers,
Al.

Ken Starks

Jan 6, 2010, 6:35:22 PM1/6/10
to linux-dai...@googlegroups.com
AND...we've pretty much established that youtube linux videos don't really do anything to reach the "everyday" user.  If you are going to paint the Mona Lisa and lock it away from most potential viewers, I don't see the point.

"A child's exposure to technology should never be predicated on the ability to pay for it."

GNUguy

Jan 6, 2010, 6:50:57 PM1/6/10
to Linux Dairy Council

Yeah, the Jan 15 date seems a bit unreal. That caught my attention as
well.

Does anyone know anything about Trainer Communications; the "High Tech
PR and Marketing Firm" that Ken Hess ref'd? Looking at their web site,
I have to say I'm a bit puzzled by its appearance within the context
of their "High Tech" moniker.

Looks like they/he/she might be using the MODx CMS.

On Jan 6, 4:54 pm, Alan Pope <alan.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ken Hess

Jan 8, 2010, 9:59:12 AM1/8/10
to Linux Dairy Council
What do you want them to have? A bunch of flashing icons or dancing
text?
High tech means that they promote high tech firms.

And what would you have made the deadline?

Are you or were you going to submit an entry or just sit back and
comment from the sidelines?
Commenting is easier than doing anything to be sure. It's safer and
falsely gives you a sense of superiority.
Do something don't just say something.

Ken Hess

Jan 8, 2010, 9:55:53 AM1/8/10
to Linux Dairy Council
Larry,

Where do I know you from?

How would you consider me as a spoon at all?

Seems that a lot of people have a lot to say but none of it
constructive.
That's the sad thing about the Internet; Every son-of-a-bitch with a
piece of virtual chalk can shoot his mouth off without regard for
sense or sensibility.
I know about the Linux Foundation's contest and they are one of my
sponsors.

Ken

On Jan 6, 4:51 pm, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's funny that he proposes this on the heels of the Linux Foundation's
> contest several months ago and other efforts to promote GNU/Linux.
>
> But then, I've never considered Ken Hess the sharpest spoon in the drawer,
> either.
>
> Larry Cafiero
>

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 2:40 PM, GNUguy <p...@concertedsystems.com> wrote:
>
> > From Ken Hess @ DaniWeb
>
> >http://www.daniweb.com/news/story249981.html#
>
> > --

> > linux-dairy-cou...@googlegroups.com<linux-dairy-council%2Bunsu bsc...@googlegroups.com>

Ken Hess

Jan 8, 2010, 9:56:35 AM1/8/10
to Linux Dairy Council
Where the hell have you been? YouTube videos often get tens of
millions of views. Not what I'd call hidden.

On Jan 6, 5:35 pm, Ken Starks <hel...@fixedbylinux.com> wrote:
> AND...we've pretty much established that youtube linux videos don't really
> do anything to reach the "everyday" user.  If you are going to paint the
> Mona Lisa and lock it away from most potential viewers, I don't see the
> point.
>
> "A child's exposure to technology should never be predicated on the ability
> to pay for it."
>

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafi...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > It's funny that he proposes this on the heels of the Linux Foundation's
> > contest several months ago and other efforts to promote GNU/Linux.
>
> > But then, I've never considered Ken Hess the sharpest spoon in the drawer,
> > either.
>
> > Larry Cafiero
>

> > On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 2:40 PM, GNUguy <p...@concertedsystems.com> wrote:
>
> >> From Ken Hess @ DaniWeb
>
> >>http://www.daniweb.com/news/story249981.html#
>
> >> --

> >> linux-dairy-cou...@googlegroups.com<linux-dairy-council%2Bunsu bsc...@googlegroups.com>

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/linux-dairy-council?hl=en.
>
> > --

> > linux-dairy-cou...@googlegroups.com<linux-dairy-council%2Bunsu bsc...@googlegroups.com>

Larry Cafiero

Jan 8, 2010, 10:39:45 AM1/8/10
to linux-dai...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Ken Hess <kennet...@gmail.com> wrote:
Larry,

Where do I know you from?

You don't. We have never met. But I'd gladly compare resumes regarding what we've done for Linux any day.

How would you consider me as a spoon at all?

Merely reading your blogs -- most of which are meaningless pap, at the least, and misleading FUD, at most -- would allow anyone to make this assessment. But don't take my word for it - read the replies on LXer every time you write something.

Seems that a lot of people have a lot to say but none of it
constructive.

Of course, you realize that's complete bullshit; but not surprising coming from you. Most of us are working to promote Linux which is why we're here. Some like to pontificate from some digital ivory tower pretending to be the be-all, and know-all, for Linux.

That's the sad thing about the Internet; Every son-of-a-bitch with a
piece of virtual chalk can shoot his mouth off without regard for
sense or sensibility.

No truer words were spoken, Ken -- and your blog is proof positive of that. You can file that one under the pot calling the kettle black.

I know about the Linux Foundation's contest and they are one of my
sponsors.

Great. Good luck with that, and every other wheel-reinventing project you would like to suggest.

Larry Cafiero

Alan Pope

Jan 8, 2010, 10:36:45 AM1/8/10
to linux-dai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken,

2010/1/8 Ken Hess <kennet...@gmail.com>:

> And what would you have made the deadline?

A couple of months minimum. Of course some people have have content
they've already created and can just send that on over. Having a
longer timeline would allow for people who don't have existing content
to come up with an idea and make it so.

> Are you or were you going to submit an entry or just sit back and
> comment from the sidelines?

Personally I'd love to but my skills are lacking so I certainly
couldn't do it in 4 days.

> Commenting is easier than doing anything to be sure. It's safer and
> falsely gives you a sense of superiority.

I merely lamented the short time line and lack of awareness, nothing more.

Cheers,
Al.

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier

Jan 8, 2010, 10:54:50 AM1/8/10
to Linux Dairy Council
Hi all,

Just a reminder to please keep things constructive.

Love and other indoor sports,

Zonker

GNUguy

Jan 8, 2010, 12:08:16 PM1/8/10
to Linux Dairy Council

Whoa! Easy there, Ken. If you've been offended by any comments that
I've made, you had better take some time to compose yourself first.
You might have simply asked why I made those comments, which in fact
are not at all negative.

I think the schedule issue for your contest has been responded to
adequately by the others. I've been involved with projects like that
so I have a pretty good idea as to what it takes. Also, the people
that might have an interest in participating probably have jobs (at
least, given our current unemployment rate, I hope they do), so they
have other things taking up their time.

Have you looked at Trainer's site? I've never seen a web site that
occupies less than 20% of the window area. The content itself doesn't
look all that bad, in fact it looks very straight-forward and
uncomplicated. But why does it open an entire window and then occupy a
column along the left side of the window that is 240px wide? To offer
some additional insight, I'm viewing it with Iceweasel/Firefox 3.5.6
(which is standards compliant) on my sidux box. So maybe there's a
compatibility issue there. I have not looked at it w/Safari, IE, etc,
but I will now.

What I'm saying is that it looks a bit odd or inconsistent with what I
know of web design. So therefore, the impression it gave me is not
consistent with being high-tech. It looks as if something has gone
wrong with the formatting. Most pages today are centered in the window
area and use most or all of the window area.

And if you'd like to see any of my work, just check out the DuPont
Plastics, Packaging, and Vespel sites. I've got a few more to share if
you want. I've been doing web pages for them for about 10 years. Just
to warn you though, some of those pages are created using Interwoven
while others have been made using my own CSS and page layout and then
added to the Interwoven structure as assets. So if you have any
comments to make re my work, be sure you know what you are looking at
first.

I don't claim to be the best web designer in the business, but after
26+ years in business, sales, and marketing communications, I think I
have a pretty good idea of what looks appropriate.

Now if you'd like to discuss this further, you can reply directly to
me. We don't need to take up anymore space here. But I am curious why
the Trainer page format is the way it is especially if it was built
with MODx. MODx is a CMS that I've experimented with briefly when it
was in one of its earlier revs (about 2 years ago, I think) and it
continues to attract my interest.

Thanks for your feedback re my comments, Ken. I hope your contest is a
success. Promoting Linux is something that is very important to me.
After all, ya just gotta love the Penguin.

GNUguy

Jan 8, 2010, 12:22:33 PM1/8/10
to Linux Dairy Council

To answer my own question, for some reason Iceweasel is getting
redirected to the mobil page.

Adblock is turned off.

Bruce Wagner

Jan 8, 2010, 11:32:39 AM1/8/10
to linux-dai...@googlegroups.com

I'm just now joining this group, and I must say.... this childish name-calling and personal attacking is very disheartening.

Linux is like Joy.  It's free. It's to be shared. There's nothing better. And it comes from the heart.

Let's please try to control our speech.... and focus on the Joy we've come together to spread.

Bruce Wagner

Ken Hess

Jan 9, 2010, 11:32:52 AM1/9/10
to Linux Dairy Council
I lengthened the time to February 10 and the new announce date is
February 15.
Does that work better? I thought it was a little short too but...

And to whomever mentioned the LF's contest, they are providing T-
shirts to our winners so I guess they don't have a problem with the
contest. Their contest was a reaction to the I'm a PC, I'm a Mac thing
on TV. This one is not. This is simply a "we can do it better"
commercial with no specific theme.

Thanks for the comment and I extended the date because of it.

On Jan 8, 9:36 am, Alan Pope <alan.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ken,

Ken Hess

Jan 9, 2010, 11:35:45 AM1/9/10
to Linux Dairy Council
I don't have anything to do with their site design. Trainer sent me to
the Interop Show in Vegas back in May and they are providing some
prizes for the contest. Their offices might be painted badly too for
all I know. ;-)

GNUguy

Jan 10, 2010, 4:54:44 PM1/10/10
to Linux Dairy Council

Hi Ken,

Trainer does have a nice looking site.

I've emailed them asking for some insight re the redirect for
Iceweasel. When I initially emailed them at what looked like the
general address, the message was returned. So I also emailed the other
two addresses; one HR and one for customers. The HR person responded
and told me they were doing some server maintenance. I asked her to
pass my question on to the webmaster. So far there's been no response.

I also tried accessing their site from my Debian machine which has
Gnome and Iceweasel and had the same results. Initially I used my
laptop which is running sidux, a Debian-based distro with KDE4 and
Iceweasel. So it's looking like either something in the Debian distro
or Iceweasel is a problem. All other computers have no problem (XP,
Mac, and PCLinuxOS w/FF and Konqueror). And now I had better include
Chrome.

I don't really expect a response to be honest. I'm sure they have
bigger issues to manage. But now I'm curious as to what the problem
might be with Iceweasel.

And again Ken, I hope your contest pays off for Linux.