Question re: S-meter display

Scott T

Dec 26, 2023, 4:00:31 PM12/26/23
to Linrad
Regarding the s-meter display, I think I'm misunderstanding something.
I'm using AFREDI 822x dual-channel SDR, feeding both inputs through a splitter, but I added a 6 dB pad on one of the input lines.
I've attached a screenshot, hoping that will help.
I'm pretty sure it's configured correctly for dual-channel...the Phasing info does indeed show a 6 dB delta, and the polarization display makes sense.  But the s-meter seems to show only one signal.  Should it show two?  Or is the red trace the "noise floor"?
For that matter the baseband graph only shows a green trace, nothing at all on (what I thought was supposed to be the) magenta orthogonal trace.
Either my expectations are off or I'm making a silly little mistake.  Any hints would be greatly appreciated!!

20231226 questions.PNG

Leif Asbrink

Dec 26, 2023, 8:47:19 PM12/26/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hello Scott,

You have enabled automatic polarisation adaption.

The baseband graph as well as the S-meter shows the the linear
combination of the signals that gives maximum signal strength
in green while the magenta traces show the orthogonal combination
which is noise only.

Click "Adapt" in the polarization graph and set polarization to "H".
Then you will see the two different signal sources in the graphs (if
you have the default parameters for polarization.)

73

Leif
> --
> There is an excellent Linrad User Guide by Gaetan, ON4KHG, at:
> http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf
> ---

Scott T

Dec 27, 2023, 4:11:50 PM12/27/23
to Linrad
Aha!  I suspected as much.  Thanks so much Leif!