RTL 2832 Dongle on Linrad

Earl Shaffer

Mar 8, 2023, 5:52:59 PM3/8/23
to Linrad
Hi All.

I have Windows 10 and Linrad 5.01.
I have been using an older RTL 2832 dongle (plastic case) with it for some time with no problems.
The device manager reports RTL 2832.

I bought the newer RTL2832 dongle with the metal shield which can also do direct without the tuner.
It did not work right away with Linrad so I set it up for SDR#. Of course I tried the new dongle first with all the settings that worked for the old dongle.
That works fine. I can control both frequency and gain in SDR#.
It required using Zadig to install the WinUSB device driver and it comes up as two instances of Bulk-In, Interface.
Linrad works but Linrad will not control frequency or gain setting.
What am I doing wrong?

Earl Shaffer

Mar 8, 2023, 6:24:11 PM3/8/23
to Linrad
Hi All.

I reviewed Leifs video showing the installation of the RTL 2832 dongle on Windows XP.
The installation followed the video perfectly until I got to:
Select gain mode:
0 = Auto
1 = Original Osmocom

As you can see, Linearity mode was not present as an option.
I tried both of these gain modes one at a time and neither one provided frequency or gain control.
In the video WinUSB was selected for both Bulk-In Interfaces and this is the option I chose from Zadig.
It does seem like a driver issue, but I'm pretty sure I am using the right one.

WB9UWA.

Earl Shaffer

Mar 8, 2023, 6:36:08 PM3/8/23
to Linrad
Hi All.

Ok. More information.
Linrad 5.01 works ok on the 32 bit version with full frequency and gain control.
With exactly the same setup, Linrad 5.01, 64 bit version does NOT control frequency and gain, but it remembers the settings from when it worked ok with the 32 bit version running.

WB9UWA.

Leif Asbrink

Mar 12, 2023, 5:43:51 AM3/12/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jim,

Somehow linrad is using another dll than the one I supply with the
dll installer. Did you place a rtlsdr.dll file i the linrad directory?

I tested linrad-05.02 64 bit under Win 7 today and it has the gain modes.

I tell linrad to look here: C:\linrad\dll\x64\ whn loading like this:
LoadLibraryEx(rtlsdr_dllname, NULL, LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH);

Maybe Windows tries to be kind and looks for a more recent dll in
the system directory or in your linrad directory. I no loger
remember.

The 32 bit version of linrad looks here: C:\linrad\dll\

73

Leif
> --
> There is an excellent Linrad User Guide by Gaetan, ON4KHG, at:
> http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf
> ---

Earl Shaffer

Mar 17, 2023, 5:26:10 PM3/17/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi All.

On Sun, Mar 12, 2023 at 4:43 AM Leif Asbrink <le...@sm5bsz.com> wrote:
Hello Jim,

Somehow linrad is using another dll than the one I supply with the
dll installer. Did you place a rtlsdr.dll file i the linrad directory?

Yes. It is there.

I tested linrad-05.02 64 bit under Win 7 today and it has the gain modes.

I tell linrad to look here: C:\linrad\dll\x64\ whn loading like this:
LoadLibraryEx(rtlsdr_dllname, NULL, LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH);

Yes. It is also there.

Maybe Windows tries to be kind and looks for a more recent dll in
the system directory or in your linrad directory. I no loger
remember.

I would not know.

The 32 bit version of linrad looks here: C:\linrad\dll\

73

Leif

I think I made a mistake.  I upgraded my PC from Windows 10 to Windows 11.
Now I can run either the 32 bit or the 64 bit Linrad. I see data ok, but can not change gain or frequency.
I see this error when I try.
rtlsdr_demod_write_reg failed with -9

There are other problems introduced by upgrading too (mentioned on Moon-net) , so I may be reverting to Windows 10.

I did just now look in Device Manager. It seems the Windows 11 update was too kind to me and installed a driver that
it thought I should have. Both Bulk-In, Interface devices now have  libwdi as drivers. As I recall it should be WinUSB?
Perhaps a proper update using Zadig will solve it. I'll table this problem for now and see if there is a good way to control
the SI570 on my IQ+ since Map65 will not do that. CFGSR will not do it anymore. I think Windows 11 might be 64 bit only.
The Softrock and CFGSR web sites are over 10 years old now.

WB9UWA.

Leif Asbrink

Mar 17, 2023, 10:57:50 PM3/17/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

You should not have placed a dll in the Linrad directory. That
dll does not have gain modes. Just remove it, linrad will find
the appropriate dll in C:\linrad\dll\x64\
(you need the dll package for Linrad.)

73

Leif
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/20230312104347.f9f2620341e3ac6789eca7bb%40sm5bsz.com
> > .
> >

> --
> Earl Shaffer, WB9UWA
>
> My EME array photos
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bbn2ktonko8e3az/AACHBBOhf6Djk5Pf2c86Br5ja
> Detailed array photos
> http://www.gm4jjj.co.uk/WB9UWA/
> Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/earl.shaffer
> Linkedin
> http://www.linkedin.com/pub/earl-shaffer/12/881/735
>
> --
> There is an excellent Linrad User Guide by Gaetan, ON4KHG, at:
> http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf
> ---

Earl Shaffer

Mar 18, 2023, 4:51:49 PM3/18/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leif.

Using my new metal case RTL2832.
I removed C:\linrad\dll\rtlsdr.dll but I still have C:\linrad\dll\x64\rtlsdr.dll as you suggested.
I verified with Zadig that WinUSB was present in both Bulk-In 1 and Bulk-In 0 but
Device manager says Bulk-In and Bulk-In WinUSB is present.
Linrad 32 will not start and complains that I removed the driver.
Linrad 64 complains when I try to change the gain setting but only intermittently.
If I double click up and down arrows, I can get the gain to change as well as frequency so I DO have some control.
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner  (It says this even though I have a proper RTL2832).
Exact sample rate is: 2000000.052982 Hz
rtlsdr_demod_write_reg failed with -9

When I plug in my old plastic case RTL2832U, Device manager identifies it as RTL2832. and WinUSB is present.
Linrad 32 still complains that I removed the driver.
Linrad 64 Does not run. Looking for rtlsdr......
Zadig says WinUSB driver is present for RTL2832U.

These things are odd.
I wish I understood drivers better. It seems they exhibit a dual existence.

I have the PC fully updated and working on Windows 11.
Windows 11 puts non-functional drivers in things like USB Si570 control, USB Serial ports, and RTL dongles.

Now my EME array has 8/1 SWR on horizontal and the pattern is very odd. The power meter was fluctuating so I
likely have a bad connection.   I have a plan to troubleshoot it.

WB9UWA.

Leif Asbrink

Mar 18, 2023, 8:17:05 PM3/18/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

I thought you had placed a dll in your linrad directory
C:\linrad\linrad-05.02\ or something:
"Did you place a rtlsdr.dll file i the linrad directory?
> Yes. It is there."

You might search the computer for all occurancies of rtlsdr.dll
Windows tries to be helpful. It might know what dll to use
because you used the dongle with some other program that had
a "better" (newer dll)

Try to remove (rename) all rtlsdr.dll -> rtlsdr.uwv or something, then
run the linrad dll installer setup-dll-05.exe from here:
http://sm5bsz.com/dll.htm

Maybe it helps?

73

Leif
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/20230318035747.fe46da31095c20bef74519ae%40sm5bsz.com
> > .
> >

> --
> Earl Shaffer, WB9UWA
>
> My EME array photos
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bbn2ktonko8e3az/AACHBBOhf6Djk5Pf2c86Br5ja
> Detailed array photos
> http://www.gm4jjj.co.uk/WB9UWA/
> Facebook
> http://www.facebook.com/earl.shaffer
> Linkedin
> http://www.linkedin.com/pub/earl-shaffer/12/881/735
>
> --
> There is an excellent Linrad User Guide by Gaetan, ON4KHG, at:
> http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf
> ---

Earl Shaffer

Mar 22, 2023, 4:31:16 PM3/22/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leif.

I found an rtlsdr.dll driver in the SDRsharp directory, so I renamed it for now. It is a much smaller file (43kb) made in 2014.
Otherwise the two rtlsdr.dll drivers are where they should be.
To make sure, I ran your dll installer that you suggested.
I plugged in both dongles.
My plastic case RTL dongle is generic. I installed it on the 32 bit version of linrad.
Both dongles showed up when I set up linrad.
I verified that all dlls are WinUSB and they show up properly in device manager.
Auto gain does not work. I have to use Osmocom. There is no linearity mode to try.
This runs ok but as before, a gain change results in the following error:
rtlsdr_demod_write_reg failed with -9
In fact the above error report shows up when I make setup changes. It seems like a communication error perhaps related to speed or delays.
Maybe my modern PC is too fast?
AMD Ryzen 5 4600G with Radeon Graphics   3.70 GHz  8gb ram. SSD. 250mb. Windows 11 64bit.
As before, the numbers on the gain setting change with each click but the above error results and there is no gain change.
As before, if I double click the gain setting arrows, the above error displays for the first click but the second click updates the
gain. This is an acceptable operation but unexpected.
I started the 64 bit Linrad and did the setup with the 32 bit version still running.
Both dongles showed up in the list and this time I chose the newer realtek dongle.
All is the same. I had to choose Osmocom.
It ran at the same time as the 32 bit linrad.
I can change gain independently on both dongles but using the double click method.
I did use W to save the setups in both cases.
I closed both linrad programs.
I opened Linrad 32bit and it worked ok.
I opened Linrad 64bit and it failed to find the dongle.
I have to setup the input every time if I wish to use both at once.

I test the dongles with SDR# and all works fine on that.

I don't know if I uncovered a bug or what. It is all usable now, but perhaps less convenient than it could be.
I wonder if my PC is too fast and does not wait long enough for the gain change to respond.
I tried my Windows Vista PC with Linrad 4 and it works ok. I tried updating to Linrad 5 but it did not work.
At first my drivers were still 4 and it wanted 5. I installed 5 drivers and Linrad 5 was happy but there was no response
from the keyboard after that.

WB9UWA.

Leif Asbrink

Mar 24, 2023, 5:06:34 PM3/24/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jim,

I think the fact that you do not always see three gain modes
means that the linrad dll is not loaded. As far as I can recall
the code in the dll returns the number of gain modes without
checking anything with the hardware.

I am afraid Microsoft has decided they know better than the
average user how to properly load dll files and libraries and
that they have programmed their cleverness into Windows 10 and
later.

I can understand the above looks like conspiracy theory, but
have a look at this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsh_hU6ARDc

I suggest you try to rename the linrad .exe files

73

Leif