Wanted: QMAP Parameter Files for Linrad

W8TN - Clark

Jul 2, 2023, 4:10:58 PM7/2/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
I am starting to set up Linrad for use with QMAP and I see in the "Quick-Start Guide to WSJT-X 2.7 and QMAP" where "Parameter files for suitable Linrad configuration are available on request."

Is this the correct forum to request these files?  If not, where should I go to request the QMAP Parameter Files for Linrad?

73, Clark, W8TN

on4khg

Jul 2, 2023, 4:27:26 PM7/2/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clark,

If I have well understood, this has to be requested to Joe, K1JT.
73,

Gaëtan, ON4KHG

Le 2023-07-02 21:09, W8TN - Clark a écrit :
> I am starting to set up Linrad for use with QMAP and I see in the
> "Quick-Start Guide to _WSJT-X 2.7_ and _QMAP_" where "Parameter
> files for suitable Linrad configuration are available on request."
>
> Is this the correct forum to request these files?  If not, where
> should I go to request the QMAP Parameter Files for Linrad?
>
> 73, Clark, W8TN
>
> --
> There is an excellent Linrad User Guide by Gaetan, ON4KHG, at:
>
> http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf
> [1]
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/CAEnUb-fLtiU94npUAM8JTiggCqz1zm05aPX-5Cp1jZB-fOoZvQ%40mail.gmail.com
> [2].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf
> [2]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/CAEnUb-fLtiU94npUAM8JTiggCqz1zm05aPX-5Cp1jZB-fOoZvQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

W8TN - Clark

Jul 2, 2023, 4:45:41 PM7/2/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hello Gaëtan,

I did not want to bother Joe with that request if it was available somewhere else but I think you may be correct.  Thank you!

73, Clark, W8TN

Message has been deleted

Joe Taylor

Jul 3, 2023, 1:06:14 PM7/3/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com, W8TN
Hi Clark,

I'll be happy to help you set up Linrad for use with QMAP and. It would
help to know what SDR hardware you are using, and what you have already
done toward this goal.

-- 73, Joe, K1JT

On 6/30/2023 9:50 PM, W8TN wrote:
> I am starting to set up Linrad for use with QMAP and I see in the
> "Quick-Start Guide to /WSJT-X 2.7/ and /QMAP/" where "Parameter files
> for suitable Linrad configuration are available on request."
>
> Is this the correct forum to request these files?
>
> 73, Clark, W8TN
>
> --
> There is an excellent Linrad User Guide by Gaetan, ON4KHG, at:
> http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf
> <http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf>
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/6ab17288-dbf0-47ae-8d35-339c2731f78fn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/6ab17288-dbf0-47ae-8d35-339c2731f78fn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Joe Taylor

Jul 3, 2023, 2:52:05 PM7/3/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clark,

Thanks for the additional information. The Linrad+QMAP combination
requires Linrad to send I/Q data for a single RF channel to QMAP, using
Linrad's "Network" facility. The sample rate must be 96000 Hz. My
parameter files work with the RSPduo and other units from SDRplay. I
also have a working Linrad+QMAP setup for the Funcube Dongle. Neither
of these will work with your *Nooelec RTL-SDR*, unfortunately.

-- Joe

On 7/3/2023 2:05 PM, W8TN - Clark wrote:
> Joe,
>
> That's great!  Thank you so much.
>
> I am definitely a "Newbie" with Linrad and have just started working
> with it (for almost one week now - Hi!)  I've been following the videos
> online and so far have set up Linrad (version 05.02) to communicate with
> my *Nooelec RTL-SDR* and listened to local commercial broadcast FM
> stations.  The day before I used SDR Console with the RTL-SDR and sent
> the audio to WSJT-X via Eugene V. Muzychenko's Virtual Audio Cable and
> decoded FT8 signals on 6-M.  (See two attached screenshots.)
>
> My next step is to set Linrad to receive SSB and connect it to WSJT-X to
> decode some FT8 signals.  Then I want to network it so that I can have
> the decoding on my 2nd computer because that is the computer which is
> interfaced to my K3S for TX.  I have accumulated a LOT of information
> about Linrad and I'm slowly working my way through it documenting my
> progress as I go so I don't forget how I managed to get there.
>
> Since November 2017 I've been on 2-M EME and managed the following using
> first a pair of InnovAntenna 13-L LFA yagis and 1,000-watts from a W6PQL
> amp.  I have now replaced the 13-L antennas with a pair of InnovAntenna
> 14-L LFA XPOL yagis.
>
> 334 EME QSO's
> 274 Initials (New Stations)
> 214 Grids  -  43 Fields
> 64 DXCC Countries Worked / 63 Confirmed
>
> U.S. States on 2-M:
>    46 Worked / 46 Confirmed
>         (Not all via EME)
>

> I am currently in the process of connecting the RTL-SDR through an SDR
> Switch from N2EME.  Ahead of the SDR I will use a WD5AGO cavity preamp
> https://w8tn.com/wd5ago-144-mhz-cavity-preamps/
> <https://w8tn.com/wd5ago-144-mhz-cavity-preamps/>  I bought two of these
> preamps from Tommy as my plan was to use MAP65 with my LinkRF IQ+ and
> UADC-4.  I did manage to use the IQ+ last November but I was not really
> pleased with its sensitivity running MAP65 (although I did make 9 QSO's
> with it.)
>
> These preamps are matched at:
>
> 22 dBg @ 0.20 dB N/F
> S11 = -7 dB
> P1 = +10 dBm
>
> Recently, in email communications with Rick, K9AO, he suggested I might
> want to try using the AFE822x SDR-VHFx2 as my SDR due to its higher ADC
> and better performance.  That is certainly possible but it may require a
> second SDR Switch.  I do not mind changing the SDR for something more
> suitable.  I picked the Nooelec RTL-SDR on the advice of Paul, N2EME.  I
> also have an Airspy R2 which I had planned to use on 6-M but have not
> set it up yet other than to test it with SDR Console..
>
> I know there is a fairly long road in front of me to get Linrad
> operating properly along with the equipment side but I'm certain I can
> manage it.  Any advice and/or direction you can supply would be *VERY
> [...]

W8TN - Clark

Jul 3, 2023, 3:32:50 PM7/3/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hello Joe,

Well, it looks like I'm in the market for an RSPduo.  It seems that Ham Radio Outlet is the only supplier in the U.S. but, they do seem to have it in stock so there would not be much delay in acquiring one.

One question before I order it. I have an 8-year old refurbished Dell Precision T1700 Workstation, Quad-Core i7 4770 up to 3.9GHz with 64-bit Windows 7 Professional, 8GB of RAM and 250GB SSD. Is this sufficient to handle the RSPduo and Linrad combination?

Then, since Linrad would be sending the data to QMAP over the Network, I think I could put the QMAP software on the second computer which is connected to the K3S.  Looks like a plan to me.

Thanks again.

73, Clark, W8TN

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/f76143e4-1961-e2e8-2688-425f08b569ec%40princeton.edu.

Rick Kunath

Jul 3, 2023, 3:50:22 PM7/3/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com, W8TN - Clark
Joe,

Do you think the Afedri AFE822x SDR-VHFx2 (Dual Channel) would work in
this application too? I know from what you said QMAP wants a single IQ
feed, but Linrad could use the dual-channel SDR and Linrad's adaptive or
manual phasing to optimize the signals from the 2 yagis before sending
it on to QMAP then as single channel IQ. I understand the Afedri will
handle the 96000 Hz output in IQ natively, so no conversion would be needed.

I'm just trying to think ahead since the Duo I have has the inherent
issue of not knowing what the initial phase difference is between the 2
tuners. It is unique and unknown at any cold boot (the Afedri is phase
coherent so it doesn't have that problem).  It would be a moot point
using Linrad in single channel mode, but with the Duo or the Afedri in
dual-channel mode you might get more out of the diversity.  Am I
thinking more value into the dual-channel and the diversity than might
there?

Rick Kunath, K9AO

Dimitry Borzenko

Jul 4, 2023, 12:51:15 PM7/4/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hello.
I am also interested about afedri usage.
I have Afedri AFE822x SDR-VHFx2 (Dual Channel) for 144MHz and Afedri
UHF for 70cm.

Best Wishes.

Jul 5, 2023, 10:09:14 AM7/5/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com, W8TN - Clark
Hi Clark,

Yes, the computer you describe is more than sufficient for running the
Linrad+QMAP+WSJT-X combination. We do this at W2ZQ with much less, a
tiny NUC box with a Core i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz.

Remember that QMAP processes a single polarization channel. For full
adaptive polarization capability using your XPOL Yagis, you should
really use MAP65 rather than QMAP. That can be done with the RSPduo and
software called RSPduoEME, written by G4EEV, sending dual-polarization
I/Q data to MAP65:
https://github.com/g4eev/RSPduoEME
You might find it useful to communicate with others using the Xpol,
RSPduoEME, and MAP65 combination.

-- 73, Joe, K1JT

On 7/3/2023 3:32 PM, W8TN - Clark wrote:
> Hello Joe,
>
> Well, it looks like I'm in the market for an RSPduo.  It seems that Ham
> Radio Outlet is the only supplier in the U.S. but, they do seem to have
> it in stock so there would not be much delay in acquiring one.
>
> One question before I order it. I have an 8-year old refurbished Dell
> Precision T1700 Workstation, Quad-Core i7 4770 up to 3.9GHz with 64-bit
> Windows 7 Professional, 8GB of RAM and 250GB SSD. Is this sufficient to
> handle the RSPduo and Linrad combination?
>
> Then, since Linrad would be sending the data to QMAP over the Network, I
> think I could put the QMAP software on the second computer which is
> connected to the K3S.  Looks like a plan to me.
>
> Thanks again.
>

> 73, Clark, W8TN
>

> On Mon, Jul 3, 2023 at 2:52 PM Joe Taylor <j...@princeton.edu
> <mailto:j...@princeton.edu>> wrote:
>
> Hi Clark,
>
> > https://w8tn.com/ <https://w8tn.com/> <https://w8tn.com/
> >     <mailto:linrad%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:linrad%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>
> >      > <mailto:linrad+un...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:linrad%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >     <mailto:linrad%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:linrad%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>>.
> http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf <http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf>
> ---
> Groups "Linrad" group.
> send an email to linrad+un...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:linrad%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/f76143e4-1961-e2e8-2688-425f08b569ec%40princeton.edu <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/f76143e4-1961-e2e8-2688-425f08b569ec%40princeton.edu>.
>
> --
> There is an excellent Linrad User Guide by Gaetan, ON4KHG, at:
> http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf <http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf>
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/CAEnUb-eFqWgQfkrwgTy0VqTou6E_BjO30u43cfUT7WwPw4cJCA%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/CAEnUb-eFqWgQfkrwgTy0VqTou6E_BjO30u43cfUT7WwPw4cJCA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Joe Taylor

Jul 5, 2023, 11:01:40 AM7/5/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick and all,

What Linrad sends to QMAP or MAP65 is the "timf2" data: time-domain I/Q
data after the first backward FFT the noise blanker. See
http://sm5bsz.com/lir/map65/map65.htm

Linrad's combination of X and Y signals for adaptive polarization is
done farther downstream. In principle I think you could send the
combined signal, still at 96000 Hz sample rate, to MAP65 in
single-polarization mode as a complex audio signal. But this procedure
would not take advantage MAP65's capability to match the polarization of
each and every Q65 or JT65 signal, independently.

About two years ago I did a brief survey to establish MAP65 usage
patterns. You have probably already seen the results, but for
completeness I attach it here. At that time 19 people reported using
the Aferdi receiver with Xpol systems, mostly on 2 meters, and I think
always with Linrad as an intermediary before MAP65.

I'm not really able to actively support MAP65 any longer, because I do
not have access to an Xpol EME system. QMAP was started as a
stripped-down, single-polarization version of MAP65, tailored especially
for EME on 1296 MHz and higher bands. This one I can still support,
because I am currently active on that band at Club station W2ZQ.

-- 73, Joe, K1JT
MAP65_Usage.pdf

rsku...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2023, 1:54:09 PM7/5/23
to Linrad
Joe,

Not that I would want to be seen as adding more things to your already very full plate, but if you did decide to take another look towards improving MAP65 for dual-channel use with some of your new protocols perhaps some kind soul with an XPOL setup could make some Linrad recordings at your direction?

Playing these back would be like having a live XPOL setup.

Thanks for your thoughts on this :)

73,
Rick Kunath, K9AO

Joe Taylor

Jul 5, 2023, 3:32:16 PM7/5/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,
I'm not sure just what you have in mind, here. MAP65 3.0 already
supports dual-channel use with all of the 60-second submodes of Q65, as
well as the original JT65 submodes. This with fully adaptive,
matched-polarization decoding of each received JT65 or Q65 signal. Of
course I have lots of suitable recordings for testing the decoding
algorithms.
My comment about not being able to actively support MAP65 any longer
refers to the fact that significant development work (new features,
support for new hardware, etc.) depends on my being able to use the
features myself, in the same ways that other operators might use them.

--Joe, K1JT

Rick Kunath

Jul 5, 2023, 3:39:18 PM7/5/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com, Joe Taylor
Got it Joe, my misunderstanding and thanks for the clarification :)

It makes perfect sense about you needing the actual hardware.

Rick Kunath, K9AO