Linrad on a Raspberry Pi

ON4KHG

Jan 27, 2022, 5:01:10 PM1/27/22
to lin...@googlegroups.com

Dears,

I’m more and more using a Raspberry Pi (4B) in my shack. However, though gaining experience, I’m still a newbie in Raspi/Linux matters.

My question is simple : how can I install Linrad on a Raspi ?

I guess I have to make a “build”, compile, etc but I don’t know how to do it.

Could somebody explain me ?

Thanks in advance.

73,

Gaëtan, ON4KHG

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Leif Asbrink

Jan 27, 2022, 10:55:15 PM1/27/22
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hello Gaëtan,

There are videos:
Linrad on a Raspberry Pi. |||| [RaspberryPi] Running an rtlsdr at a bandwidth of 2.2 MHz. It matters which screen is selected. Plain X11 is slow, MIT-SHM is better and FBDEV, the front buffer device is fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGZmD8O4Flk

Raspberry Pi2 with Perseus. [perseus-raspi] Install from scratch. First the operating system, then Linrad with the Perseus. En excellent system for battery powered operation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWg6bqp-RyQ

73

Leif

> I’m more and more using a Raspberry Pi (4B) in my shack. However, though gaining experience, I’m still a newbie in Raspi/Linux matters.
>
> My question is simple : how can I install Linrad on a Raspi ?
>

> I guess I have to make a “build”, compile, etc but I don’t know how to do it.
>
> Could somebody explain me ?
>

> Thanks in advance.
>
> 73,
>

> Gaëtan, ON4KHG
>

> --
>
> --
> There is an excellent Linrad User Guide by Gaetan, ON4KHG, at:
> http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf
> ---

on4khg

Jan 28, 2022, 2:47:52 AM1/28/22
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leif,

Many thanks for your feed-back. Thanks to these (UFB) videos, I'll
install Linrad on my Raspi this WE !
73,

Gaëtan

ON4KHG

Feb 14, 2022, 11:27:47 AM2/14/22
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Leif,

Thanks to your nice videos, I have installed Linrad very easily on my Raspi.
One issue remains however. I'm using an external USB sound card (EMU-0202) capable of 192 kHz SR (the same I have been using for years on my WinXP computer + Softrock).

In Linrad, in the "U" section (A/D and D/A setup for RX), I define that sound card as input (A). I set the sampling rate to 192 kHz. I want to listen on that same card. So, I select it as output (B) too (as I used to do on the WinXP computer).
Starting Linrad, I see the whole 192 kHz bandwidth. All works as expected except the output sound, it is full of "hissss" and distorded (something around the sampling rate I supposed).
So, I checked in Chromium (Inet browser in the Raspi) and I can play sounds (for example YouTube) without problems.

I tried to change the sampling rate of the input in Linrad (A) => 48 kHz instead of 192 kHz and then, all is OK, the sound is normal and as expected.
So, it seems the output sampling rate in the sound card is correlated with the input one.
Any idea on how I could solve that issue ? I'm not used to ALSA, etc things.

One workaround is to send streams over my home LAN towards another computer. It works but I would prefer to have all on the same Raspi.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Gaëtan, ON4KHG
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/20220128045512.d9935f6f5f7648ef0f3f2b94%40sm5bsz.com.

Leif Asbrink

Feb 14, 2022, 8:59:59 PM2/14/22
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gaëtan,

In the old days soundcards could not have different rates
for input and output. Did you try 192 kHz for output also?

73

Leif
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/010401d821bf%24cb86f840%246294e8c0%24%40voo.be.

ON4KHG

Feb 15, 2022, 2:26:12 AM2/15/22
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leif,

In Linrad, there is no mean to select the output sampling rate (the input well, but not the output).
Would you know a way to change it from outside of Linrad ? I searched on the internet but didn't succeed to find a successful way.
Thanks in advance.
73,

Gaëtan
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/20220215025956.493db433f57f6d47d3bf62d0%40sm5bsz.com.

Leif Asbrink

Feb 15, 2022, 11:47:45 AM2/15/22
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gaëtan,

the last parameter screen. Comes in par_ssb, par_cw etc.
I attach a small image, I do not know if it will be
accepted by the list server.

73

Leif
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/014201d8223d%244d4a8b30%24e7dfa190%24%40voo.be.

Leif Asbrink

Feb 15, 2022, 11:49:47 AM2/15/22
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Ooops, forgot attachment...
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/20220215174741.85f960cc8637c474601f9c15%40sm5bsz.com.
rate.gif

ON4KHG

Feb 15, 2022, 4:39:57 PM2/15/22
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Leif,

I completely overlooked that parameter indeed ! I was focusing on the A/D and D/A definition in the "U" menu, where the output sampling rate is not accessible.

So, I modified the SR directly in the par_ssb file as you suggest. Conrad (PA5Y) had also suggested me the same today.
And it works ! Setting the out SR to 192000 in the par_ssb file is the solution. Now the audio is perfect.

Working Linrad on the Raspi (4B) is super pleasant. No soundcard driver required, super stable and the CPU load amounts to less than 10%.

Thanks to Conrad and you for your support.
73,
> > To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linrad/20220215025956.493db433f57f6d47d3bf62d0%40sm5bsz.com.
> >

> > --
> >
> > --
> > There is an excellent Linrad User Guide by Gaetan, ON4KHG, at:
> > http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20G
> > uide%20-%20V1-0.pdf
> > ---
>
> --
> There is an excellent Linrad User Guide by Gaetan, ON4KHG, at:
> http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Gui
> de%20-%20V1-0.pdf
> ---

There is an excellent Linrad User Guide by Gaetan, ON4KHG, at:
http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf
---

Leif Asbrink

Feb 15, 2022, 6:03:56 PM2/15/22
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gaëtan,

Good:-)

The problem is a bad driver for the USB soundcard. A proper
driver should refuse to open the device if you specify 48kHz
when it is already set to 192 kHz. This is an old problem
and the reason why you have to configure the output again
if you changed the input soundcard. Proper drivers would
in this case tell Linrad that there is only one speed
available for output: 192 kHz (Because this particular device
uses the same clock for input and output like the very old
soundcards did?)

73

Leif