Autostart with multiple linrad sessions

gary simpkins

Jun 19, 2023, 4:23:48 AM6/19/23
to Linrad
Hi Linrad Group.
I am running multiple instances of linrad.
I am using a Adefri822Dual in this case as the source and comparing linrad outputs for different polarizations with multiple linrad instances.
The first instance is the Master. This outputs a 16 bit raw Multicast UDP signal only.
The Second instance receives the Multicast and outputs a network UDP TIMF2 MAP65 signal and an audio output to a WSJTx-Adaptive session.
The third instance receives the Multicast and outputs an audio output to WSJTx-Horizontal session.
The forth instance receives this Multicast and outputs an audio output to WSJTx-Vertical session.
These all work if I start the linrad manually.

I would like to autostart these instances, but have hit an issue.
The Master autostarts every time.
The other sessions sometimes autostart but at other times lockup and need to be restarted. Sometimes the restart works and other times  does not. I have tried different pausing between starting the linrad instances but still get this random autostart problem.
I have found that using Portaudio for the audio to the wsjtx sessions fixes the problem and all the instances start every time.
I would prefer to use MS MM for audio as the portaudio config number for each instance can change if I add or remove an audio device from the windows PC.

Anyone any idea what I am missing or could do to ensure the MS audio autostarts?

I am using the W3SZ fork that allows me to sync all the linrad instances to the MA65 Frequency and this works fine.

Any advice or pointers welcome.

Regards
Gary G8EOH

Leif Asbrink

Jun 21, 2023, 4:45:55 PM6/21/23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hello Gary,

I do not know the reason why Windows MME drivers cause a problem.
Presumably you use Virtual Audio Cable or similar rather than a
soundcard to connect to wsjtx sessions. You could use real cables
and soundcards.

You might try to set higher priority, up to realtime as an expert.
You might also change the timer resolution to a small value. Maybe 1.

Maybe the best would be to create a .bat file from which you would start
everything in the appropriate order, perhaps with some little program
causing a suitable wait in between.

73

Leif