Connecting linrad to wsjt-x on linux

sietse

Feb 7, 2021, 9:09:43 AMFeb 7
to Linrad

Hello List,
I'm struggling to get linrad connected to wsjt-x on linux (debian/testing).
Using Linrad-05.00pre from the repository, and wsjt-x 2.3.0
The SDR is RSP2, and linrad works fine with that.

To connect to wsjt-x I start the jack server via qjackctl, after which I see the sinks and sources in the graph window of qjackctl.
I then start xlinrad64 and using portaudio try several channel, default, system, pulse. Usually default works and linrad appears on the graph window connects to a sync and sound is OK.

Then I start wsjtx and try to find an input setting tor the audio, but nothing works.
I would expect to see wsjtx on the graph window at some point,

So my question is, what is the correct procedure to get wsjtx to use the output of linrad.
I understood that this is the way to get wsjtx working with linrad on linux.

 Thanks in advance,
       Sietse, PA0FED

Sietse Achterop

Feb 8, 2021, 1:03:39 PMFeb 8
to Linrad
Thanks Pierre / ON5GN for the response.

Now trying to solve is only using  ALSA. I created the ALSA loopback device using:  modprobe snd-aloop.
In linrad I select the first loopback device, here hw:3,0.
To check that it works I do:
   record -f S16_LE -D hw:3,1 > recording.wav
   aplay recording.wav
I hear the sound, so this shows that the signal from linrad is routed through the loopback device to the loopback playback channel.

In wsjtx the loopback devices are now visible under Settings->Audio, but selecting one of then (I think I need the input) does not yield a signal in the spectrum, let alone a decoding.
The names are:
    alsa_input.platform-snd_aloop.0.analog-stereo
    alsa_output.platform-snd_aloop.0.analog-stereo.monitor

So I think the linrad side of it is solved. But why does wsjtx not use the  sound stream properly?
Or maybe ask on the wsjtx.groups.io site?
   73,
    Sietse PA0FED