Tuning chuffing in the last few source changes when scrolling the mouse wheel

rsku...@gmail.com

May 20, 2024, 12:06:04 PMMay 20
to Linrad
I don't know exactly when this change might have been introduced, but it for sure within the last few months or likely even more recent.

Before the issue I could rotate the mouse wheel when tuning in AM mode, this happens on normal AM or any of the coherent modes, and the frequency would change silently as I zeroed in on a carrier. Since the change it chuffs with each step and I see a downward spike on the S-meter graph. It does this in dual or single channel mode on my SDRduo. I often tune like this in COH2 mode to get to a carrier I want. Before the tuning was seamless but now it chuffs and occasionally clicks as I adjust. Once I stop tuning things are normal as expected.

I have tried about every possible thing I could think of in the par files, but nothing seems to have any effect on this. It does the chuffing whether the mouse is set to fine tune (1) or if I select it to coarser with the +/- keys. That setting does not seem to matter.

This is using the SDRplay Linux API of version 3.15 and Franco Venturi's 3.15 API fork that is current with Leif's latest (1035) changes. We have been testing together with Franco's code.

Any idea what to do about this or what might be the cause of it?

Thanks in advance,
Rick Kunath, K9AO

Earl Shaffer

May 20, 2024, 2:52:23 PMMay 20
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick.

Check your CPU usage.

73, Earl Shaffer, WB9UWA.

--
There is an excellent Linrad User Guide by Gaetan, ON4KHG, at:
http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf

Rick Kunath

May 20, 2024, 3:24:27 PMMay 20
to lin...@googlegroups.com, Earl Shaffer
Thanks Earl. Good call...

I checked that and it's running 11% max, actually lower than before by a
bit.

So I am still searching for a reason on the chuff.

Rick Kunath, K9AO

Leif Asbrink

May 20, 2024, 8:03:47 PMMay 20
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rick,

Old versions of Linrad from 03-00a Jan 2009 can be found here:
http://sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/linroot.htm

Please try old versions to see between which ones I made a change
that causes this problem.

Please, try first the oldest version in the repo, if that does not have the
problem it will be much easier to find what causes this effect.

73

Leif

Rick Kunath

May 21, 2024, 11:15:41 AMMay 21
to lin...@googlegroups.com, Leif Asbrink
That makes sense Leif.

I have to talk to Franco to see what we can do about testing the
different versions. As SDRplay upgraded their API it changed, so the
SDRplay API3 support is API version dependent and this was built into
the various older versions we used. I don't think this chiffing change
happened too long ago. I had installed a new Linrad version that Franco
modified to use the 3.15 SDRplay API and this was when I noticed the
chuffing. Just prior to that we were testing (a few days ago) on the
previous version, maybe 6 or 7 commits back from now and I also noticed
it then. But the 5.02 version did not have the issue.

Let me see about how we can step back and still use the 3.15 API and
then we will know more.

Franco had made some changes to allow for the new RSPdx R2 to be able to
use it's HDR mode. And I was having trouble getting that to work. With
Franco's help and Andy from SDRplay we have at least one set of settings
that does work and it works well. But I haven't tested to discover the
other combinations of different HDR bandwidths that allow for HDR.
That's why we were building new versions and adding in your latest
changes to the fork. (Eventually to be forwarded to you after we get
things working right.)

I can say for sure that running the SDRplay RSPdx R2 in HDR mode is a
treat. The noise floor on it is much lower than the RSPduo I usually use
in dual-channel mode on Linrad, and that makes for maybe 10 dB of
additional sensitivity. So it has allowed for me to do dig deeper into
the noise on local daytime mediumwave stations and non-directional
beacons. But there is more experimentation yet to be done on HDR mode to
understand all of the sample rate and HDR bandwidth and IF bandwidth and
LO settings that work. We have a list from Andy but it'll be a bit
before it all gets worked through. For now I can get the entire
mediumwave band to work in HDR mode. There should be combinations of
settings that work optimally for NDB high and low, LW, mediumwave, and
160 meters.

These same settings should also work for the RSPdx (non-R2) version.

Thanks for the help,

Rick Kunath, K9AO

Earl Shaffer

May 21, 2024, 7:18:47 PMMay 21
to lin...@googlegroups.com
HI Rick.

I had an SDR play a few years ago but I gave up on it since Linrad would not work well with it.
I DID have Linrad working to some degree with it. I had to use the normal program for SDR play
to set the frequency. Then I had to change to a different driver to use Linrad. At that point I no longer
had control of the frequency. Going back and forth between drivers was not convenient for me.
I don't know if this info will help you or not since you have to change frequency to see the problem....
 73, Earl Shaffer, WB9UWA.

--
There is an excellent Linrad User Guide by Gaetan, ON4KHG, at:
http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf
---

Rick Kunath

May 23, 2024, 3:34:16 PMMay 23
to lin...@googlegroups.com, Leif Asbrink
Leif,

Franco Venturi has been helping me with doing some testing to isolate
where the change came in that introduced the chuffing on tuning with the
mouse wheel.

I was working my way through the changes. Here is what I found:

r1027 - good, no chuffing and it tunes smoothly
r1028 - chuffs but would not build until Franco sent me the file
allan_graph.c from r1029
r1029 - chuffs

I hope this will help to see where the problem is.

Rick Kunath, K9AO

Leif Asbrink

May 23, 2024, 6:56:44 PMMay 23
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

OK, I understand what is the problem. When the frequency is changed
the baseband is now reset - that is required when doing signal analysis.
The changes should be conditional, only in signal analysis modes
when evaluatinf sideband noise or Allan deviation.

I will look into it soon.

73

Leif
> --
> There is an excellent Linrad User Guide by Gaetan, ON4KHG, at:
> http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf
> ---

Rick Kunath

May 23, 2024, 7:40:31 PMMay 23
to lin...@googlegroups.com, Leif Asbrink
Thanks Leif :)

Rick Kunath, K9AO

Leif Asbrink

May 24, 2024, 10:23:52 AMMay 24
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

Please try the new 1036. I have made a couple of statements that
reset the baseband conditional on signal evaluation modes. Hopefully
this will be enough to solve the problem.

There are great many changes between 1027 and 1028 so there could be
more problems....

73

Leif
> --
> There is an excellent Linrad User Guide by Gaetan, ON4KHG, at:
> http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf
> ---

Rick Kunath

May 24, 2024, 6:04:33 PMMay 24
to lin...@googlegroups.com, Leif Asbrink
Leif,

On 1036 the main spectrum and waterfall works as expected and as it
normally does. I can click on a station on it, but the second waterfall
and spectrum never shows anything it just stays black and I get no
audio. The frequency scale changes on the secondary waterfall screen
after I click the main window but no signal shows on the secondary
window. The frequency shows up at the carrier location too on the
secondary spectrum window. Then I roll the mouse wheel 1 or 2 clicks in
the secondary window and I get the signal and sound, but it still
chuffs. For the first or second mouse wheel rotation-click the frequency
above the carrier does not change. then it seems to wake up and works,
but it still chuffs.

So something is still not right.

Rick Kunath, K9AO

Leif Asbrink

May 26, 2024, 6:30:50 PMMay 26
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rick,

Now there is 1037 for you to try.

73

Leif
> --
> There is an excellent Linrad User Guide by Gaetan, ON4KHG, at:
> http://w3sz.com/Linrad%20Installation%20&%20Configuration%20User%20Guide%20-%20V1-0.pdf
> ---

Rick Kunath

May 27, 2024, 12:08:38 PMMay 27
to lin...@googlegroups.com, Leif Asbrink
That latest change has got it Leif. 1037 is working perfectly now :) no
chuffing at all at any tuning step.

Thanks so much for the help.

73,
Rick Kunath, K9AO

Rick Kunath

May 27, 2024, 10:57:10 PMMay 27
to lin...@googlegroups.com, Leif Asbrink
Leif,

The latert 1038 also works great. No chuffing and everything is fine.

One question though, is there anything on the correlation modes and how
to use them?

Thanks again for working on this :)

Rick Kunath, K9AO

Leif Asbrink

May 28, 2024, 4:57:35 PMMay 28
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

There is a lot about correlation modes on my video channel at youtube.

You can read a little about what the videos are about here:
http://sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/videos.htm
The series of videos for nerds , the latest is nerds96 tells about how
I try to make improvements on hardware as well as software to make
measurements of better oscillators faster and more accurate.

This is ongoing work, there is no "final instruction" on how to use
the correlation modes.

In the latest, nerds96, I tried to compare with results from a HP5370A but
found problems. Now solved, I had used inappropriate drive routines for
the GPIB interface. There will be new results, what they would be is
unknown to me today.

Maybe you should look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZwPuL40l6E

73