Manipulating the Store

Hinnerk Bruegmann

Jun 10, 2008, 7:05:47 AM6/10/08
to linqtordf-discuss
Hi,

after getting around the installation problems (thanks a bunch
Andrew), I could finally try LinqToRdf in the project I am working on.
The scenario is quite similar to the architecture described by Paul in
http://www.paulstovell.com/blog/linq-to-soap-to-linq-again .
That is having a remote Triple store which is accessed from different
clients. These clients may be of a different type -

- Analyzer, which would query the store (for which LinqToRdf seems
perfect)
- Sensor, which would gather data locally and write corresponding
triples to the remote store
- possibly a kind of Manipulator which would combine the above two, so
requiring read as well as write-functionality to the store.

As SPARQL at this time obviously is not ment to do "insert/updates",
would I have to rely on webservice accessors "setTriple()" after all?
As far as I can see this would somehow ruin the whole LINQ idea unless
LinqToRdf would in turn wrap around the websservice calls. (or not?)

Sorry if my question is kind of out of the scope of this project ;-)

Thanks,
Hinnerk

Andrew Matthews

Jun 10, 2008, 7:34:27 PM6/10/08
to linqtord...@googlegroups.com

Hi Hinnerk,

Well, it is and is not in scope. The whole update scenario _is_ supported but only for local triple stores managed by SemWeb (the underlying raw RDF framework by Joshua Tauberer). To be honest the support is pretty sketchy and doesn't use any standard prototcols. As such I'm not planning to continue supporting it (unless RSQuary becomes a generally accepted standard).

In preference I'd rather support SPARQL Update, but that would currently restrict you to prototype versions of Jena. I think, given that fact that Andy Seabourne is editor of the SPARQL spec, that his SPARQL Update will become a W3 recommendation in time, so I expect to provide support.

LinqToRdf could be coaxed into providing a little support in the form of serialisation of objects to triples, but it really needs some work to be truly useful (by that I mean it needs to know which objects are new, which have been changed and what properties got changed etc.)

If you were going to use web services, I definitely wouldn’t do it at the raw triple level unless I had to. Instead, I’d have some serialiser on the far end that did the dirty work of converting either SOAP or objects to triples...

Regards,

Andrew Matthews | Senior Developer | Readify Pty Ltd | M: 0400 188995

Hinnerk Bruegmann

Jun 12, 2008, 5:03:08 AM6/12/08
to linqtordf-discuss
Alright,

thanks a lot for your answer.
I'll just try to figure it out using a webservice or maybe a .Net
Remoting approach and let you know how it works out.

Cheers,
Hinnerk

On Jun 11, 1:34 am, Andrew Matthews <Andrew.Matth...@readify.net>

Andrew Matthews

Jun 12, 2008, 5:08:45 AM6/12/08
to linqtord...@googlegroups.com
Feel free to send me a patch if you think it would be generally useful... ;-)