Re: OpenCog.org website

Linas Vepstas

Jun 17, 2023, 10:20:49 PM6/17/23
to Ben Goertzel, Haley Lowy, Matthew Ikle, Amen Belayneh, Mario Guzman, opencog, link-grammar
Naming and branding:

So here's a proposal. Four things. Four names. Four brands:

* OpenCog Classic
* OpenCog AtomSpace
* OpenCog Hyperon
* OpenCog Incubator

"OpenCog Classic" consists of everything abandoned and obsolete; This includes PLN, URE, Attention, SpaceTime, Ghost, Relex, R2L, ROS, Eva/Sophia, MOSES (but not as-moses, see below).

"OpenCog AtomSpace" includes:
-- base AtomSpace
-- CogServer and atomspace-cog (for networking, json, websockets)
-- atomspace-rocks (disk I/O subsystem)
-- Proxy Nodes (for data routing, replaces attention bank)
-- Link Grammar

OpenCog Hyperon
-- the stuff you're working on

OpenCog Incubator
-- atomspace-prolog proof-of-concept
-- chemistry proof-of-concept
-- agi-bio
-- visualization
-- as-moses
-- vision proof-of-concept
-- hyperon-on-top-of-atomspace proof of concept.
-- etc.

The above is the branding and website design that I would like to see. It makes it clear what's what, what goes where, what's alive, what's dead. what's stable, what's new.  what's broken, what's experimental. Does this work for you?

Two extra remarks:

The hyperon-on-top-of-atomspace proof of concept. Not sure if you didn't see the announcement, or you saw it and just hated it. I think putting Hyperon on top of the AtomSpace is not too hard, and I think it might work quite well, given that the code base is debugged and performance tuned. I understand that the current devel crew does not care for such a thing. But it is a viable path, and a kind of insurance policy.

Link Grammar.  I've been working to integrate Link Grammar more closely with the base AtomSpace. It turns out that Link Grammar is a generic structure parser. Or rather, is close to one, although some fair amount of bending, welding and hammering is still required. I think it can be used to process visual/video data, audio data, sensory data in general. Part of the big deal is that link-grammar is now really really fast: Amir Plivatsy has performance-tuned the heck out of it, it runs about 100x faster than it did a decade ago. And since CPU's have also gotten faster, ... wow. So that is the dataflow, or structure-flow idea. Converting any kind of streaming data into a "streaming semantic graph" in real time.

AS-MOSES: As a whole, it is problematic. There are a few pieces/parts I'd like to rip out and breathe new life into. In particular, generic "knob-turning" and deme management would be excellent stand-alone plugins for the AtomSpace. I need knob-turning in order to train on video and audio feeds.

-- Linas

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 6:18 PM Ben Goertzel <bengo...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think Linas may not care for the appellation "Classic" for the
version of OpenCog he's currently developing and. using .. I don't
really love it either but I just came up with it casually and have
kept using it.. it was kind of a bad joke on "coca Cola Classic"
really...

Linas, how would you suggest we refer to the original, non-Hyperon
version of OpenCog on the opencog.org site... given that we want to
clearly point folks who come to the site both to a page giving
resources on Hyperon, and to resources on the other original/classic
OC version (e.g. the OC wiki, the Github repo, etc.) ...

thanks
ben

--
Ben Goertzel, PhD
b...@goertzel.org

"My humanity is a constant self-overcoming" -- Friedrich Nietzsche

--
Patrick: Are they laughing at us?
Sponge Bob: No, Patrick, they are laughing next to us.