ANNOUNCE: Link Grammar version 5.10.0 now available!

Linas Vepstas

Sep 4, 2021, 5:00:39 PM9/4/21
to link-grammar, opencog

Version 5.10.0 of link-grammar is now available for download. The minor version number was bumped due to a quasi-incompatible change in the handling of idioms. They now use an underscore as the first character of the link type, and underscores are now reserved.

Other than that, there were an assortment of fixes driven by user requests:
 * Expanded English vocabulary
 * Support dictionary "#define allow-duplicate-words true". #1204
 * Fix crash for sentences containing wildcard words. #1206
 * Connector names starting with "ID" are no longer reserved. #1208
 * Connector names starting with underbar are reserved for internal use.
 * ".I" subscripts are no longer reserved; "._" subscripts are reserved.
   These last three changes introduce linkage incompatibilities.
 * Fix parsing with nulls when using an sqlite3 dictionary.
 * Fix regexes for NetBSD when using libc regexes. #1223
 * English dict: fix many "how?" questions.
 * English dict: fix conditional sentences #1240

You can download link-grammar from
http://www.abisource.com/downloads/link-grammar/current/

The website is here:
https://www.abisource.com/projects/link-grammar/

WHAT IS LINK GRAMMAR?
The Link Grammar Parser is a syntactic parser of English (and other
languages as well), based on Link Grammar, an original theory of English
syntax. Given a sentence, the system assigns to it a syntactic structure,
which consists of a set of labeled links connecting pairs of words.

See the Wikipedia page for more info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_grammar

-- Linas

Dennis Grubb

Oct 20, 2021, 2:39:52 PM10/20/21
to link-grammar
Hi Linas,
I'm interested in Link Grammar.. I am using Windows10 & I've tried to setup msvc (community edition) but am having difficulty with the 5.10 version setup/compile.
I also enabled WSL and I can install the 5.8 LinkGrammar version, but is there a package for 5.10 I can install for ubuntu in WSL?
Cheers, Dennis in Tasmania

Linas Vepstas

Oct 20, 2021, 2:54:05 PM10/20/21
to link-grammar, Dennis Grubb
Hi Dennis,

I am cc'ing you directly, as you are not subscribed to the mailing
list. Inline comments below.

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 1:39 PM Dennis Grubb <dennis....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in Link Grammar.. I am using Windows10 & I've tried to setup msvc (community edition) but am having difficulty with the 5.10 version setup/compile.

Without specific error messages, I cannot guess what went wrong!

> I also enabled WSL and I can install the 5.8 LinkGrammar version, but is there a package for 5.10 I can install for ubuntu in WSL?

The differences between 5.10 and 5.8 are minor. As you are a beginning
user, I recommend sticking with 5.8 and exploring that. If at some
point in the future, you decide to build some large and complex system
using link-grammar, then you can revisit the 5.10 install. Who knows
-- we might have 5.11 or 5.12 by then!

> Cheers, Dennis in Tasmania

Tasmania is certainly far away from where I am! It's interesting to
hear from users all over the world!

-- Linas
> --

Patrick: Are they laughing at us?
Sponge Bob: No, Patrick, they are laughing next to us.

Dennis Grubb

Oct 22, 2021, 2:51:10 PM10/22/21
to link-grammar
Linas, thanks for the response.. attached below the error text , the file mentioned does not exist where the error points??

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error LNK1181 cannot open input file 'D:\link-grammar-5.10.2\msvc\x64\Release\link-grammar-x64.lib' LinkGrammarExe D:\link-grammar-5.10.2\msvc\LINK 1

? can you help with this issue? have I missed a step where I create this .lib ?
Thanks
Dennis (yes, Tasmania, and where are you located??)

.. can I insert screen capture png into this conversation?

ami...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2021, 8:29:27 PM10/22/21
to link-grammar
Hi Dennis,

On Friday, 22 October 2021 at 21:51:10 UTC+3 dennis....@gmail.com wrote:
Linas, thanks for the response.. attached below the error text , the file mentioned does not exist where the error points??

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error LNK1181 cannot open input file 'D:\link-grammar-5.10.2\msvc\x64\Release\link-grammar-x64.lib' LinkGrammarExe D:\link-grammar-5.10.2\msvc\LINK 1

Which command caused this error?

? can you help with this issue? have I missed a step where I create this .lib ?

Supposing you know to use Visual Studio:
First, you need to read "msvc/README.md" and perform the needed setups.
Then you need to build the  LinkLinkGrammarExe project.
It first invokes building the LinkLinkGrammar project, which builds the library.

(To save some work in installing the TRE regex library, you can just install the "Developer files" - see the README.md for the TRE download page.
I intend to update the readme file regarding that soon.)

Thanks
Dennis (yes, Tasmania, and where are you located??)

.. can I insert screen capture png into this conversation?

You can (see the symbols at the bottom of the screen when you post).
However, for readability, it is best to avoid that. Instead, it is better to do the following steps:
1. Using the mouse, copy the text you would like to include in your post.
2. Past it in your post.
3. Using the mouse, select it in your post.
4. Scroll down to the bottom of the web page of your post, and change "Sans Serif"  "Courier New" to make it monospaced.
5. When you continue to write, first make sure the font type is again Sans Serif".
6. If some text that you manually added appeared monospaced when it should not, select it and press the cross T at the bottom of the screen.

Amir

Dennis Grubb

Oct 23, 2021, 4:33:16 AM10/23/21
to link-grammar
thanks for the response Amir, yes the  "msvc/README.md" is my stumbling block..
I have not too much experience with Linux/command line and structure.. and the directions in the readme are
confusing (for me). I am electronics/telecomms engineer (retired, age 67) in Australia mostly experienced with Windows OS.
I will read the instructions again.. and ask next for clarification specifically where my experience lacks.
Dennis

Dennis Grubb

Nov 6, 2021, 12:24:09 PM11/6/21
to link-grammar
Again can I ask for help re building LinkGrammar in win10  64-bit with MS Visual Studio Community.
What must I do to "complete the needed setups" before attempting to build?
Amir replied with "Supposing you know to use Visual Studio:
First, you need to read "msvc/README.md" and perform the needed setups.
Then you need to build the  LinkLinkGrammarExe project.
It first invokes building the LinkLinkGrammar project, which builds the library."
I get the following message  from Visual Studio
"Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error LNK1181 cannot open input file 'D:\link-grammar-5.10.2\msvc\x64\Release\link-grammar-x64.lib' LinkGrammarExe D:\link-grammar-5.10.2\msvc\LINK 1 "
..so the library is not being built... but that is the only message I get, no errors, no warnings...
can anyone help me with a fix? or a prod in the right direction for a solution..
can someone who has built using this method share their VS local.props file for me to see if I have correct directories for regex, etc please?
Dennis in Hobart, Tasmania

ami...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2021, 8:28:04 PM11/6/21
to link-grammar
On Saturday, 6 November 2021 at 18:24:09 UTC+2 dennis....@gmail.com wrote:
Again can I ask for help re building LinkGrammar in win10  64-bit with MS Visual Studio Community.
What must I do to "complete the needed setups" before attempting to build?

The needed setup is all the steps that are detailed in the README.
If you encounter any problem with any step, please mention which one, the exec thing you did (if any) and the response you got.

The README says:
The regex package, which includes libraries and header files, must be separately downloaded.
[...]
A tested library can be downloaded from  [Tre for Windows](http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/tre.htm).
If your system is 64-bits, use the provided 64-bits library.

Have you performed this step?

Note that in my previous answer I said how you can directly install the library (this saves the  "dlltool" step in the README). THis is what I said:
(To save some work in installing the TRE regex library, you can just install the "Developer files" - see the README.md for the TRE download page.

After installing the regex library, you have to follow the other steps in the README, one by one.
Please indicate in which step is not clear or in which one you encounter a problem

Amir replied with "Supposing you know to use Visual Studio:
First, you need to read "msvc/README.md" and perform the needed setups.
Then you need to build the  LinkLinkGrammarExe project.
It first invokes building the LinkLinkGrammar project, which builds the library."
I get the following message  from Visual Studio
"Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error LNK1181 cannot open input file 'D:\link-grammar-5.10.2\msvc\x64\Release\link-grammar-x64.lib' LinkGrammarExe D:\link-grammar-5.10.2\msvc\LINK 1 "
..so the library is not being built... but that is the only message I get, no errors, no warnings...

In order that I will be able to tell you what you have done wrongly, please note that I have to know which Visual Studio command (menu option) you have performed, that gave you this error (or in general - any error) as a result, and also all the things that you have done up to that point.

can anyone help me with a fix? or a prod in the right direction for a solution..
can someone who has built using this method share their VS local.props file for me to see if I have correct directories for regex, etc please?

The correct Local.props is the one which contain the exact directories in which you have installed the "regex" library and "Win flex-bison"  (and also Python/SWIG and Java if you like to have these language bindings, but this you can do later). You first need to download the ZIP file of each (from their corresponding Internet pages), then unzip them to any directory you like in your disk, and then set the corresponding variables in Local.prop according to these directories. If you make these installations in the directories that are already set in Local.prop (the README tells you what they are exactly) than you don't need to change the supplied Local.prop (besides deleting the value of the variable WINFLEXBISON if you install the LG source code from the TAR file provided at  http://www.abisource.com/projects/link-grammar/#download). Hence the Local.props of other people is not useful. But if you would like to see it anyway, please be aware that the supplied Local.prop is the exact file that I use for building LG (because I have installed the libraries/programs/DLLs in the directories mentioned in it).

You can set the variables in Local.prop file with a text editor - but you must know exactly what you do - else you would corrupt it! Or you can do it using the conventional way, i.e. using the menus of Visual Studio. The README supposes the reader knows how to use Visual Studio (or would consult the Visual Studio manual and/or Google for how to do the desired things). Luckily, I recently mentioned which menu/submenu selection sequence to use for changing the variables in Local.prop, see my answers in: https://github.com/opencog/link-grammar/discussions/1245 .

BTW, do you have an experience in building projects using Visual Studio, including installing and using the needed libraries, programs and DLLs?
I admit it is not otherwise easy to follow the README.

Dennis in Hobart, Tasmania

Amir