Music player daemon mpd?

Hans Müller

Jun 8, 2015, 4:43:21 AM6/8/15
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I upgraded my newly delivered Arduino Yùn according to the instructions at http://wiki.linino.org/doku.php?id=wiki:upgradetolininoio

Then I did the following:

dpkg update
dpkg install kmod
-usb-sound
dpkg install mpc
dpkg install mpd

Everything went fine until the installation of mpd when I was told that this package is not available. The github repository has a folder called mpd.

Does anybody know what the plans are to include mpd in the package list?

Does anybody know where I can download a precompiled package for the Yùn?

Thanks for your help,
Hans

Arturo Rinaldi

Jun 8, 2015, 6:13:17 AM6/8/15
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hello Hans,

first of all the tool for installing/removing/updating software on our boards is :

opkg

and not dpkg (it is used on debian-based distros). We have recently disabled mpd from our build process in favour of an updated version of ffmpeg (the 2.5.3 one), since the new ffmpeg header files are not compatible with the outdated version of mpd belonging to the openwrt version Linino is based on.

We might reinstate it as long as you're not interested to the mpd features concerning ffmpeg itself. I also can grant that in our new release, which is expected in the next two months, there won't be any issue at all and we will be able to provide the user a wider range of software/tools than we have before.

      Regards, Arturo

Hans Müller

Jun 9, 2015, 7:50:40 AM6/9/15
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arturo,

Thank you for your answer!

On Monday, 8 June 2015 11:13:17 UTC+1, Arturo Rinaldi wrote:
Hello Hans,

first of all the tool for installing/removing/updating software on our boards is :

opkg

and not dpkg (it is used on debian-based distros).

Yes, you are right. A typo on my side out of habit (here in the message and not on the Arduino Yùn).

We have recently disabled mpd from our build process in favour of an updated version of ffmpeg (the 2.5.3 one), since the new ffmpeg header files are not compatible with the outdated version of mpd belonging to the openwrt version Linino is based on.

I see. Thanks for explaining.

We might reinstate it as long as you're not interested to the mpd features concerning ffmpeg itself.

That would be great if you could do it. Which encoders would work without ffmpeg? All of those (which I found on http://archphile.org/blog/alternative-mpd-package-ffmpeg-support/):
[mpg123] mp3
[oggflac] ogg oga
[flac] flac
[sndfile] wav aiff aif au snd paf iff svx sf voc w64 pvf xi htk caf sd2
[audiofile] wav au aiff aif
[dsdiff] dff
[dsf] dsf
[faad] aac

That would be sufficient (at least for me).

If you reinstate mpd without ffmpeg support, when would it be back in the repository?

Thank you for your help!

Hans