How to set breakpoint in 2.6.9 module

gavinux

Feb 26, 2005, 9:19:13 PM2/26/05
to lin...@googlegroups.com
I recompiled 2.6.9 kernel on RHFC3. The kernel I used is from
kernel.org.
I compiled bin-2.6/test modules and use this command to convert it to
sym:
[root@rhfc3 test]# ../linsym -t module.ko -o module.sym
Linice Debugger Symbol Tran....
Linice and Linsym ....

Invalid section in GlobalsName2SectionNumber() for
____version:S(0,23)=ar(5,4);0;1;(0;24)=k(1,2)

Although it prompts Invalid section, but I can load it without problem
[root@rhfc3 test]# ../linsym -s module.sym

Then I do insmod:
[root@rhfc3 test]# ismod module.ko

And I press ^Q, the module.ko is not stopped at init_module_2_6

It's said in "LINICE - Technical Q/A": if you load its symbols, the
debugger will break at its init_module() entry point by default. Why it
doesn't stop at init_module_2_6?

Goran Devic

Mar 1, 2005, 1:47:58 AM3/1/05
to lin...@googlegroups.com, bu...@linice.com
I am forwarding this to the email address bu...@linice.com for easier
tracking. I am not playing too much with 2.6 kernel and modules at the
moment, so it could be the init_module symbol (which by default is
used to set an initial breakpoint) is not present in this module. I
will look at this when I get chance, or somebody else might see the
problem right away :)

thanks,
- Goran

PS "Invalid section" message is ok, linsym is very picky about the
stubs and will complain if something is not perfectly expected. most
of the times you will simply not have access to that symbol but things
will work.