known (not) working kernel versions / configs

Mario Schallner

May 2, 2005, 8:39:24 PM5/2/05
to lin...@googlegroups.com
hi,

I would like to verify the kernel versions and configs how you got
linice running.

I never got it running so far. My problem is I get segfault when
running linice to load the module. With compiling I never have
problems. I am not totally dumb and took care about the common pitfalls
I thought.

I compiled and installed multiple kernels (incl modules of course) to
test:

2.4.27
2.4.30
2.6.8
2.6.11 (i know should not work, but anyway)

In the kernel config I almost disabled everything I do not need or
read/thought of conflicting with linice. That includes high mem support
(4GB), smp, frame buffer support, tried with different settings of
kernel debugging, ...

What I am not sure about are the different kernel debugging settings.
Currently I disabled all of them.

May I ask for a favor? Could anyone send me any kernel config file
where he has linice successfully running? I want to compare with my
config then and might try to use this kernel if applicable.

I also want to document what options are the linice killers ;)

Btw my system is debian sid, tough I think that should not be relevant.

My symbols start at C00000000000, the error message is not very
helpful, simply says "Segmentation fault".

It might have to do with the modules_init function as a insmod -f says
"Bad address" ???

thanks and regards, Mario

Mario Schallner

May 2, 2005, 8:44:44 PM5/2/05
to lin...@googlegroups.com
I am using kernels btw directly from kernel.org just in case. Not any
distribution specific setting is disturbing.

Next - could my problem be either related to centrino processor or in
the 2nd case vmware where I try to let linice run?

thanks and regards, Mario