LK, 3. junij 2024

1 view

Lingvistični krožek

May 28, 2024, 5:03:05 AMMay 28
to Lingvistični krožek

LINGVISTIČNI KROŽEK FILOZOFSKE FAKULTETE V LJUBLJANI

vabi na 1250. sestanek
v ponedeljek, 3. junija 2024, ob 18:00
v predavalnici 325 v 3. nadstropju Filozofske fakultete.

Predavala bo:
dr. Elena Guerzoni
(Univerza v Novi Gorici)

Tema predavanja:
Shifting expressive presuppositions: the case of Turkish hani (Semantične in pragmatične lastnosti turškega diskurzivnega členka hani)

I will present a study I conducted with Furkan Dikmen and Ömer Demirok on the semantic and pragmatic properties of the Turkish discourse partıcle hani. On the one hand, the function of hani is merely pragmatic, on the other hand, it is subject to the truth-conditional effect of other constituents at LF (Logical Form). In this study, we introduce the first formal semantic and pragmatic treatment of clauses containing hani. Unlike previous accounts (see Erguvanlı-Taylan (Studies on Turkish and Turkic languages; proceedings of the ninth international conference on Turkish linguistics, 133–143, 2000), Akar et al. (Discourse meaning, 57–78, 2020), and Akar and Öztürk (Information-structural perspectives on discourse particles, 251–276, 2020)), we claim that hani can have one of the following two major pragmatic functions: making salient a proposition in the Common Ground or challenging one in a past Common Ground, therefore requiring a Common Ground revision. Despite its variety of occurrences, we argue that hani has a uniform interpretation, and provide a compositional analysis of the different construals that it is associated with. Furthermore, we show that a formally explicit and accurate characterization of hani-clauses requires operating on indexical parameters, in particular the context time. Therefore, if our proposal is on the right track, hani clauses may provide indirect empirical evidence in favour of the existence of monstrous phenomena, adding to the accumulating cross-linguistic evidence in this domain (see Schlenker in Linguistics and Philosophy 26(1):29–120, 2003 and much work since then). The definition of monsters is intended as in Kaplan (Themes from Kaplan, 481–563, 1989).

Povezava do članka: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11050-023-09215-y

Predavanje bo v angleščini. Vabljeni tudi študentje.

Za predsedstvo:
Chikako Shigemori Bučar