東海・関西意味論研究会(5月12日)のお知らせ

Kenta Mizutani

Apr 29, 2024, 7:50:46 PMApr 29
to linguis...@googlegroups.com
メーリングリストのみなさま,

下記の研究会をハイブリッド形式(対面・Zoom)で実施予定です.ご興味・ご関心のある方は,以下のサイトに記載されているGoogle Formsにご回答ください.
Zoomでの参加を希望される方には,研究会の前日までにZoomの招待状を送付いたします.

https://sites.google.com/site/semanticsworkshopintokai/home

どうぞよろしくお願いいたします.

水谷 謙太(愛知県立大学)

第55回

 2024年5月12日 (日) 15時 (15:00 ~ onwards, 12 May 2024)

名古屋学院大学白鳥学舎 曙館 607 (Nagoya Gakuin University, Shiratori Campas, Akebonokan room 607)/Zoom

https://www.ngu.jp/english/location-access/access/ (map) 地図

研究発表 (Lecture):15:00~16:30

Yasutada Sudo (University College London), Muyi Yang (Osaka University)

Modal cumulativity

Sentences containing two or more plural expressions are known to allow cumulative readings (Kroch 1974, Scha 1981 a.o.). For instance, "the boys fed the dogs" has a reading that says that each boy fed at least one dog, and each dog was fed by at least one boy. We observe instances of cumulativity involving expressions that create intensional environments, such as conditionals and modals. For instance, "If these three professors come to my talk, I’ll be very nervous" has a weak reading that says that I'll be nervous in case one of these three professors comes. We take this to indicate that the conditional expression "if" can participate in cumulation, specifically, with the plural subject "these three professors" in the antecedent proposition in this example. To account for this observation, we mainly explore two theoretical options: the operator approach (Beck and Sauerland 2002) and the plural projection approach (Schmitt 2019) to cumulativity. We conclude that both approaches can capture modal cumulativity with the assumption of plural possible worlds (contra Schmitt 2023, who argues that plural worlds do not exist).

MIZUTANI, Kenta, Ph.D.
Aichi Prefectural University, Japan.