SEANCE Question

Jason Miller

Jun 1, 2022, 11:52:58 PM6/1/22
to Suite of automatic linguistic analysis tools
Good evening Amazing Team!

I have read the manual for SEANCE a few times, and if I missed this answer, please forgive me.  Is there a minimum number of words for a text file to be acceptable and return accurate data?

I have read a few papers on sentiment analysis, and their range is 50-150 or 50-200.

Suggestions?

Thank you kindly.

Jason Miller

Scott Crossley

Jun 2, 2022, 9:43:44 AM6/2/22
to Jason Miller, Suite of automatic linguistic analysis tools
Hi Jason,

We do not really have an answer for that question that is not squishy.

This paper may help (but it is not SEANCE specific)

Crossley, S. A. (2018). How Many Words Needed? Using Natural Language Processing Tools in Educational Data Mining. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Educational Data Mining (EDM). 630-633.

Kris has a recent paper looking at length issues and TTR (I think) that he can also provide.

Best,

Scott

Scott Crossley
Professor, Departments of Applied Linguistics, Computer Science, and Learning Science
Georgia State University