TAACO & CRAT not working

Tzu-Shan Chang

Sep 16, 2022, 10:18:12 PMSep 16
to Suite of automatic linguistic analysis tools
Hi, SALAT support community,

Thanks for inviting me to this group. I have questions regarding the use of TAACO and CRAT. Thanks for everyone's help.

Title: TAACO & CRAT not working

Body: I have tried to use TAACO and CRAT, but they appeared not to function. I followed the instructions, but it took forever to process the texts (long or very short) I uploaded. Still nothing was diagnosed (o k byte in excel file). I did covert the format into plain text. If someone could let me know how to make both work properly as they used to, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for the help.

Operating system: OS Windows 10

Linguistic tool: TAACO & CRAT

Versions of the tool: TAACO 2.0.4; CRAT 1.05

Scott Crossley

Sep 18, 2022, 6:32:22 PMSep 18
to Tzu-Shan Chang, Suite of automatic linguistic analysis tools
Hi Tzu-Shan,

Both distributions are working well on other computers. I would suggest finding a colleague and using their computer to see if the problem persists.

Best,

Scott

Scott Crossley
Professor, Department of Special Education
Data Science Institute | Peabody College
Vanderbilt University

Kristopher Kyle

Sep 18, 2022, 7:16:08 PMSep 18
to Scott Crossley, Tzu-Shan Chang, Suite of automatic linguistic analysis tools
Hi Tzu-Shan,

The most common issues with processing are:

1. You have not downloaded and installed the Java Development Kit (version 8) for your system.
2. Your files are not plain text formatted as UTF-8 or ASCII
3. Your folder and filenames include non-ASCII characters.

I hope this helps!

Kris

Kristopher Kyle
Associate Professor
Department of Linguistics
University of Oregon

Tzu-Shan Chang

Sep 19, 2022, 10:40:58 AMSep 19
to Suite of automatic linguistic analysis tools
Hi, Kris,

Thanks for your assistance. After installing the Java Development Kit and formatting the text, I had the results that showed the labels, but nothing was identified. Please refer to the attached files. I am wondering if it was the input file that was not correctly read. I would apprecite it if you could let me know how to fix it. I am also attaching the file. Thanks so much.

Tzu-Shan

kristop...@gmail.com 在 2022年9月19日 星期一清晨7:16:08 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道:
text1.txt
text1_diagnostic.txt
results.csv
_diagnostic_file.csv

Kristopher Kyle

Sep 19, 2022, 6:31:42 PMSep 19
to Tzu-Shan Chang, Suite of automatic linguistic analysis tools
Hi Tzu-Shan,

I tried your file on the Mac version of the tool (I placed it in a folder called "test") and it worked fine. See attached.

One last thing you might try is putting more than one .txt file in your folder. For some versions of some tools, trying to process a single text causes problems (for reasons I could never quite figure out).

Best,

Kris

text1_diagnostic.txt
results.csv