TAASSC, 1.3.8; odd scores L2SCA measures

Barbara Reindl

Sep 5, 2022, 8:35:30 AM9/5/22
to Suite of automatic linguistic analysis tools

Dear Professors,

Thank you for admitting me to this group. I am using the TAASSC (version 1.3.8.) tool for the analysis of EFL learner texts for my Master thesis. Unfortunately, I have encountered a few issues with the output data.

I uploaded ten sets of six texts each and I only selected the L2SCA measures. The issue is that in seven of the ten Excel files some of the scores cannot be right. Sometimes there is only on of the sixty measures that is odd sometimes more. The obviously faulty scores are always a multiple of 5. Here some examples of the numbers I got.

MLT: 11125; 13125

C_S: 2125; 2875; 1375; 1875; 1375; 1625

DC_C: 375

The only measure that had no faulty scores was MLC.

I’ve played around with the tool and looked at the data input closely, but I haven not been able to figure out what led to these odd scores.

Do you happen to know what might have been the issue?

I’d be ever so grateful for your reply and any suggestions as to how to proceed.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home

Linguistic tool: TAASSC

Versions of the tool: 1.3.8

#output_file

Best wishes,

Barbara Reindl

Kristopher Kyle

Sep 6, 2022, 12:45:05 PM9/6/22
to Barbara Reindl, Suite of automatic linguistic analysis tools
Hi Barbara,

Thank you for your message.

There certainly does seem to be something weird going on.

Note that TAASSC can only take plain-text files as input (e.g., myfilename.txt and NOT myfilename.docx or myfilename.xlsx) . My guess is that there is something atypical going on with your file format OR with your text encoding (they should be in ASCII or UTF-8).

Best,

Kris

Kristopher Kyle
Associate Professor