About choices of TACCO features

mayu...@sina.com

Oct 22, 2022, 10:28:47 PM10/22/22
to Suite of automatic linguistic analysis tools
I am going to do a research on research articles with TACCO. Now I have three questions:
1. The tool is trained on the newspaper section of COCA, can I use the tool to analyze academic writing? if I can, is there any proof for my justification?
2. The indices are over 100, so it will be a bit exhaustive to use all of them for the research. Can I group them or choose some of them? Can anyone share any related reseach?
3. Can I do a comparison between the indices of TACCO and Coh-metrix? I am not sure if the indices of coherence are comparable.

Thank you very much!

Scott Crossley

Oct 23, 2022, 10:38:34 AM10/23/22
to mayu...@sina.com, Suite of automatic linguistic analysis tools
Short answers below

1. The tool is trained on the newspaper section of COCA, can I use the tool to analyze academic writing? if I can, is there any proof for my justification?

Sure. We have used the tool successfully for many academic analyses.

2. The indices are over 100, so it will be a bit exhaustive to use all of them for the research. Can I group them or choose some of them? Can anyone share any related reseach?

See a lot of our earlier work. Consider the following
1. Control for multicollinearity
2. Remove variables that do not show at least a small effect with your outcome variables
3. Check for normal distribution
4. Use dimensionality reduction

3. Can I do a comparison between the indices of TACCO and Coh-metrix? I am not sure if the indices of coherence are comparable.

Some of them are (like connectives) but many variables are new (paragraph overlap and source overlap measures). You will have to make the links between the two tools.

Scott

Thank you very much!

Scott Crossley
Professor, Department of Special Education
Data Science Institute | Peabody College
Vanderbilt University

mayu...@sina.com

Oct 23, 2022, 10:48:38 PM10/23/22
to Suite of automatic linguistic analysis tools
Thank you for your kind reply!