Big Apple Workshop this President's Day Evening!

dan...@lindyonsproul.com

Feb 18, 2013, 3:52:56 AM2/18/13
to lindy-o...@googlegroups.com
Hey all! Come and learn the Big Apple!

Facebook Event Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/339552902820983/
Details:

WHEN AND WHERE?
February 18th, 8pm, Dwinelle Hall! We can't reserve a room because it's a
holiday but we will find a place to teach it!

WHAT IS THE BIG APPLE ANYWAY?

The Big Apple is a circle dance choreographed by Frankie Manning. It was most
famously performed in "Keep Punching".

WHY SHOULD I LEARN THIS?
1. Line dances in general are cool! You can show up in random venues around
the entire world and run through the dance with everyone and do the same
steps!

2. Frankie Manning himself did these moves all those years ago and you
(probably) already know his version of the shim sham!

3. This dance has a lot of really fun jazz steps, which are good both for
spicing up your solo charleston and for throwing on the social dance floor.

We were thinking of making this weekly too so we can learn some fun choreo,
such as the Tranky Doo or Doin' the Jive.

COOL, BUT WHAT DOES THIS DANCE EVEN LOOK LIKE?

Here is the routine from "Keep Punching":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfgKMfexdPQ

Here is a modern version done to "The Big Apple Contest" by The Solomon
Douglas Swingtet, which is the song that we'll be doing this to eventually.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmsYp583IYw

GREAT! I WANT TO GET A HEAD START LEARNING IT BECAUSE I AM AWESOME

Cool! I'll be teaching Patrick and Natasha's Big Apple routine with a few
minor tweaks (mostly just switching the Suzie Qs to go out on the even
beats).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C444gS8IcIk

https://www.facebook.com/events/339552902820983/