Derby Maker Faire

Andy Harsley

Sep 27, 2013, 7:24:28 AM9/27/13
to lincoln-...@googlegroups.com
http://makerfairederby.com/

Open to the public on Sat 26th Oct. I'm aiming to get there early afternoon. There's a small car park just behind the Silk Mill which I assume will be open. (Not sure on the prices, think it was a few quid last time I used it.)

andy

Andy Harsley

Oct 3, 2013, 11:24:31 AM10/3/13
to lincoln-...@googlegroups.com
It's not been confirmed yet, but there's a chance this event may be put back to the end of November.

The ongoing renovation work at the Silk Milk may preclude October 26th, though it's still the provisional date for now. If I get any updates I'll post them here.

andy

Andy Harsley

Oct 9, 2013, 5:44:13 AM10/9/13
to lincoln-...@googlegroups.com
Now confirmed for Sat 23rd November:

http://makerfairederby.com/

andy

Harold Bourne

Dec 4, 2013, 3:54:33 PM12/4/13
to lincoln-...@googlegroups.com
All

For those of you who visited the Derby Maker Fair, were there any projects we could emulate or use our skills to enhance for the good of the Hackspace? I am also thinking of any Arduino projects we could build?

Regards

Harold

Andy Harsley

Dec 5, 2013, 10:51:31 AM12/5/13
to lincoln-...@googlegroups.com
I was there all afternoon, but spent most of it catching up with various people. So I didn't get to see as much as I'd have liked. Rob and Darren were there as well, and may have more info.

However, I did spend a little time assisting with the Nottinghack soldering workshop, and by the end of the day they'd taken over £200 for their flashing badges. Most of the customers were kids, so a similar simple "learn to solder" project would be viable for our group. (There are plenty of local events we could do this at.)

Have already emailed a few people with some other project suggestions, but I'll post them here as well for completeness:

Static / mains detector (very easy and cheap)
Festive flashing lights (card or novelty project)
"Squeaky box"
Persistence of vision wand (Arduino based)
Shock box
Mousebot
PIR night light
Musical tube ("wave around to make a sound!"TM - possibly Arduino based)
Shaker torch
Plant watcher (light, temperature, humidity, moisture)

Obviously all electronics based at the moment due to current lack of machinery, but most of these are cheap (£1-5 range). Some may require a bit of assembly, but we can probably work out some way of simplifying them and selling them as kits.

A simple way of adding value would be to include an explanation of why they work. That way they become educational as well as fun.

andy

Andy Harsley

Dec 5, 2013, 10:55:27 AM12/5/13
to lincoln-...@googlegroups.com
One other thing before I forget, the Derby Silk Mill are now running workshop sessions if anyone fancies a trip over.

http://remakemuseum.tumblr.com/

They have a very nice CNC machine.

andy
Piranha CNC.jpg

Andy Harsley

Aug 6, 2014, 9:17:26 AM8/6/14
to lincoln-...@googlegroups.com
The next Derby Maker Faire is scheduled for 25/26 October.

http://makerfairederby.com/

The last one was well attended and it's well worth a visit. We could get a stand if we want, but I'll probably just go over and spectate.

andy