Arduino course

Harold Bourne

Jan 30, 2014, 7:15:47 PM1/30/14
to lincoln-...@googlegroups.com

Want to learn about the Arduino microprocessor and what you can do with it? Learn how to write sketches to control lights, switches, potentiometers, servos and more such as reading and using remote controls with your Arduino! Why not put aside a few evenings and learn something new! It is also fun!
The course is to be run over 3 weeks starting Wednesday 5 Feb and will be held at the La Vida Vintage Cafe in Monks Road; thanks to Alexa Mottram for letting us use the premises! Cost is £22 for the course. Limited places; so first come first served! Currently we can accommodate only 6, however further course will be run if demand warrants it.

Just some more details about the course

Lincoln Hackspace – Beginners Arduino Course Joining Instructions

Course dates:- Wednesday 5 Feb, 12 Feb & 19 Feb
Course Time:- 19:00 – 21:00
Course venue:- La Vida Vintage Café, 108 Monks Road
Tutor:- Will Anderson

Course content:

• Introduction to the Arduino microprocessor and programming environment (IDE)
• Controlling outputs (LEDs) by switching on/off and fading
• Detection of Inputs both digital and analogue (switches & variable resistors)
• Controlling the sequence of operations with software
• Use of libraries
• Controlling a servo (type of motor)
• Use of a remote control
• Use of the Serial monitor to check a programmes operation
• Communication with a Real Time Clock chip using the I2C bus.

What to bring:

• A laptop, Notebook or PC (Windows, Linux or Mac) – Note: an iPad or tablet will not work as we need to install the software to programme the Arduino and we need a free USB port to power the Arduino.
• Please can you install the Arduino interface prior to the course as this will save time. If you are not sure what to do, don’t worry we can do it for you! The software is available here:http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
• Please try and update / Install JAVA on your computer. The Arduino programming environment is written in JAVA. (Don’t worry we have a recent Windows and Mac OS X version just in case!)
• Something to write on/with. Please bear in mind that your computer will be in use to programme your Arduino!
• An Infra-Red TV remote control. Almost any sort will work!
• Money, if you have not already paid!
• Questions and ideas!
• A memory stick may be useful if you want to copy your mates really good sketch!
• A smile & a positive attitude– we are here to have fun! Please remember we are not professional teachers and this was developed in our spare time!

Course cost:

• £22 for the course; including PDF copy of the notes, working programme code (sketches) of all exercises and some basic components (breadboard, resistors, LEDs and servo), however excluding the Arduino and RTC chip
• If the Arduino board and RTC chip are also required then there is an additional £15 charge to cover these.
• Any drinks and food purchased at La Vida Vintage is at the cost of the Student.

Places are limited, so to secure a place there is a £10 deposit per student. Payable to Harold