Compact Flash cards that work

Robert Grabau

Jun 6, 2018, 9:31:48 AM6/6/18
to LiNC80
This is getting expensive.  I have now bought 6 cards (bought 3 pairs of cards) and none work in either Star Tech adapter nor a Qnine (which seems to work better that the Star Tech) adapter.  What brands work?  I know that Jon said the he has several cards that work and some that don't.  I wonder with the PS noise / 8 bit only mode can be why these cards that work just fine on a winders system, won't work with the Linc80.  I have found an interesting IDE interface on the web and I am now inputing it into KICAD to build an alternative interface.   Here is the link to the design:

AstroBob

Derry UK

Jun 6, 2018, 9:48:27 AM6/6/18
to LiNC80
Bob my card is marked CompactFlash Industrial 128Mb STP13010ET on the front and Machine Tool made in Malaysia on the rear. So far it has worked OK.

Derry.

Cube Central

Jun 6, 2018, 10:19:29 AM6/6/18
to LiNC80
AstroBob,

I'm not sure this will help you, but here is a link to some tools that Steve Cousins put together for CF Cards from the RC2014 Google Group.
The ones I have been using are verified genuine 256MB San Disk CF Cards that I picked up from Amazon (note, the price in that link isn't what I paid, I suspect they have raised it) I avoid eBay for things like this due to the overwhelming number of counterfeits available there.
Can you go into more detail about how they are not working? Do they work in the RC2014 (if you have one) or another "retro" system?
I'm sorry you're having all this trouble!

    -Randal   (at CubeCentral)

Robert Grabau

Jun 6, 2018, 11:24:35 AM6/6/18
to LiNC80
Randal,
Well, I got ALL of my CF cards from Amazon.  The first set can read but not write (on the LiNC80).  The second and third set won't read or write on the LiNC80.  However I can read and write on all of them on winders.  I have not tried on my RC2014 as it is not working now, but that is for a lengthy discussion on the RC2014 list.

The only card that works, is a second CF card that I got from Spencer Owens Tindie store.   However, it too will occasionally lock up in a write mode.  I have yet to fire up my Tektronix 475 and look at the power supply.

I just ordered those SanDisk CF cards from Amazon.  Now I have been screwed by Amazon before buying SanDisk micro SD cards.  They worked for a while then they became non-functional.   I suspect that the seller had sent me fakes.   Since then I have avoided purchasing any SanDisk devices from Amazon.  I have found that the Transcend micro SD cards work really well and have zero problems with them.   One of the set of CF cards are Transcend 128 MB industrial.   Funny thing, they are less than 128MB and they don't read or write.

I have tried the 2 methods to initialize the CF cards.  I have successfully done the Win32 writer of the image, and the format and image write on the LiNC80.  With the known good card - that works just fine for both methods.  The "bad" cards don't seem to work with the format and write via the LiNC80.  Either I get a "A" for the format, or nothing and that is with both IDE adapters, the Star Tech and the Qnine (all purchased from Amazon).

AstroBob

Jon Langseth

Jun 6, 2018, 1:00:58 PM6/6/18
to LiNC80
I am naturally not happy to hear about your troubles. But I'll keep it short, and give a summary of the cards I have that work:

Several SanDisk original in 64, 256, 512 and 1GB sizes (not ultra or such, the "old" red-and-blue cards)
Several Cisco branded 64MB cards, unsure about actual manufacturer
A few totally unmarked cards of different sizes
A few "Generic" 64MB and 256MB cards, looking much like the one you liked to in the other thread.

I mentioned that I got the "Can read but not write" behaviour with a 128MB and a 512MB one. Of those, one is Cisco branded (128M) and the other is "Generic".

I have not run the very nice CF testing/identification tool that Steve has made on more than a few of my cards, so I can't give a list of ID's, but I don't think that would have helped much anyway.

Robert Grabau

Jun 9, 2018, 6:16:22 AM6/9/18
to lin...@googlegroups.com
An update:
Well I got 2 new SanDisk 256MB modules and got so far to test one and I
had success, sort of.  It seems that my Star Tech interface doesn't work
at all for some strange reason.  The Qnine works only if plugged into
the main board and some more testing will be done in the coming several
days.  I am going on vacation (some call it holiday :-), but I am taking
my Linc80 and scope (Rigol) along to work on why things are "strange".

AstroBob
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rc2014-z80/PPQEZZcYOEw/Rdg3YiSQAgAJ>
> to some tools that Steve Cousins put together for CF Cards
> from the RC2014 Google Group.
> The ones I have been using are verified genuine 256MB San Disk
> CF Cards that I picked up from Amazon <http://a.co/e9wO790>
> (note, the price in that link isn't what I paid, I suspect
> they have raised it) I avoid eBay for things like this due to
> the overwhelming number of counterfeits available there.
> Can you go into more detail about how they are not working? Do
> they work in the RC2014 (if you have one) or another "retro"
> system?
> I'm sorry you're having all this trouble!
>
>     -Randal   (at CubeCentral)
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linc80/0443ef58-be9f-4e2d-825a-32c5550f58c3%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/linc80/0443ef58-be9f-4e2d-825a-32c5550f58c3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Bob Grabau

http://www.astrohbg.org
http://www.cherrysprings.org

Our Star Party: June 14-17, 2018 Cherry Springs State Park, PA

Robert Grabau

Jun 9, 2018, 7:05:38 AM6/9/18
to LiNC80
An update to the update:
I was just thinking of issues with bus length and termination.  Way back in the day, there was an active termination board for the S100 from CompuPro/Godbout.  They used a driven line to act as a termination power source.   I found an old Fairchild App note on termination which still appears to be reievant to modern times.  Here is the link:

It is interesting to see that a relatively short length of wire can be so much fun.  I will look into this in the few days.   This may indicate that my issue with the cable I used with the Star Tech board is too long or is ringing to much on the lines as when I used the direct connect Qnine board worked.

AstroBob