Interrupt daisy chain

Jon Langseth

Jun 7, 2019, 3:24:38 PM6/7/19
to LiNC80
I' forwarding a bit of correspondence I've had with Steve Cousins
about a quirk of the pinout on the System Expansion connector of the
LiNC80 SBC1, as it brings up a point that's important to have
documented ... (I hope the group formats this in a sensible, readable
way)

Jun 7, 2019, 3:36:58 PM6/7/19
to LiNC80
If one wants to use an interrupt-enabled expansion card (using IM2 w/IEI+IEO) connected directly to the Z50Bus system expansion connector of the SBC1, a workaround or "hack" can be used:
On the expansion card, using either a bit of wire or a blob of solder, short the IEI and IEO pins. This will mean that the card will not work correctly on a backplane, it will only work correctly when used as either the only attached card (direct attach), or as the last/final card of a chain.

Steve Cousins

Jun 7, 2019, 6:24:02 PM6/7/19
to LiNC80
I don't see how that will allow the mode 2 daisy chain to work.

The output (IEO) of the modified card will still conflict with the output (IEO) from SBC1 (or backplane). When the SBC1 (or backplane) tries to block interrupts from the lower priority modified card, the card's output will be driving high and conflict with the SBC1 (or backplane) IEO signal driving low.

I think that we should say that only cards not supporting the mode 2 daisy chain should be used in the Z50Bus expansion connector. In practice that is not much of a limitation.

Steve

Jon Langseth

Jun 7, 2019, 8:12:59 PM6/7/19
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you are correct. When I thought about a workaround, I had implicitly "cut" the trace of the expansion card going to it's IEO pin on it's bus connector. So my "workaround" is even more of a hack, requiring both disconnecting the IEO signal on the expansion, and connecting it's IEO signal to the IEO pin on the connector.

The best solution is yours: being aware that IM2 enabled cards using the IEO/IEO signals do not work as direct attach and need a backplane or adapter to work.

The proper supported configuration of the Z50Bus system expansion connector, especially on the LiNC80 SBC1 and the LiNC 5-slot Z50Bus backplane, is with Z50Bus backplanes and expansion cards that do not use the IEO/IEO chain connectors.

Steve Cousins

Jun 8, 2019, 5:02:14 AM6/8/19
to LiNC80
Attached is my design, complete with a solution to the IEI/IEO problem.
SC128 v1.0 PCB Render Top.jpg
SC128 v1.0 PCB Render Bottom.jpg
SC128-v1.0-Backplane-for-Z50Bus.pdf