Re: LinBox usage for binary matrices

Jean-Guillaume Dumas

Jul 27, 2017, 5:40:16 AM7/27/17
to Ovcharenko Aleksandr, linbo...@googlegroups.com
Ovcharenko Aleksandr wrote:
Hello guys,

I apologize for sending this email to all listed authors of the LinBox code, since while trying to contact some of you I was getting a return email.

My name is Aleksandr Ovcharenko, I'm the HPC developer of the Blue Brain Project run by Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland. I've come across the LinBox software and would really love to use it for our research as we run into a lot of linear algebra lately.

Is it possible you could recommend the use of basic data structures and class objects for the following application. We are trying to calculate a determinant of a binary sparse matrix over GF2 (where binary xor operations take place). I've also read in the paper that some parts of your code run in parallel. Is there a parallel algorithm for the binary matrix rank calculation I could use with LinBox?

Thank you very much, I appreciate your answer.

 Aleksandr Ovcharenko

Dear Aleksandr Ovcharenko,
the best list to discuss linbox use is  linbo...@googlegroups.com, so I'm ccing it here.

To install linbox, the simplest way is to use recover linbox-auto-install.sh
(https://raw.githubusercontent.com/linbox-team/linbox/master/linbox-auto-install.sh)
then if you have GMP installed on your system, simply run:
./linbox-auto-install.sh --enable-openblas=yes

Then, I attach here a program that computes the determinant of a sparse matrix over GF2.
It works with the latest git version (that you get with the script above, otherwise the stable version needs a patch: file linbox/algorithms/gauss/gauss-det-gf2.inl is missing).
The attached file is just a variant version of the shipped examples/sparseelimdet.C

Regards,
--
					Jean-Guillaume Dumas.
Jean-Guill...@univ-grenoble-alpes.fr    Tél.: +33 457 421 732