LinBox build failure on OSX

Mark Giesbrecht

Sep 26, 2018, 12:29:32 PM9/26/18
to linbox-use
Hi,

I’m getting a build error for LinBox on OSX, pulling the latest src from GitHub (with very recently pulled and built Givaro and FFLAS-FFPack)

First error is:

In file included from ../../linbox/algorithms/block-massey-domain.h:42:
../../linbox/algorithms/polynomial-matrix/order-basis.h:617:42: error: ambiguous conversion for functional-style cast from 'size_t' (aka 'unsigned long') to 'LinBox::integer' (aka 'Givaro::Integer')
                        size_t log_order=integer(order).bitsize();

Only happens on OSX; linux builds are fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Mark

__
Dr. Mark Giesbrecht, Professor
David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Canada

Clement Pernet

Sep 26, 2018, 4:05:46 PM9/26/18
to linbo...@googlegroups.com, Mark Giesbrecht
Hi,
This is a classic problem on OSX, where size_t are not silently casted to uint64_t.
I pushed an explicit cast. Let me know if it fixes it.
I'm suprised nobody caught this one earlier. Pascal has been fixing numerous such casts issues for
OSX lately.
Best.
Clément

Le 26/09/2018 à 18:22, Mark Giesbrecht a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I’m getting a build error for LinBox on OSX, pulling the latest src from GitHub (with very recently
> pulled and built Givaro and FFLAS-FFPack)
>
> First error is:
>
> In file included from ../../linbox/algorithms/block-massey-domain.h:42:
> *../../linbox/algorithms/polynomial-matrix/order-basis.h:617:42: **error: **ambiguous conversion for
> functional-style cast from 'size_t' (aka 'unsigned long') to 'LinBox::integer' (aka 'Givaro::Integer')*
>                         size_t log_order=integer(order).bitsize();
>
> Only happens on OSX; linux builds are fine.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mark
>
> __
> Dr. Mark Giesbrecht, Professor
> David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Canada
> Phone:+1.519.888.4080 <tel:+15198884080>   Email:m...@uwaterloo.ca <mailto:m...@uwaterloo.ca>
> URL:https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mwg <https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/%7Emwg>

Clement Pernet

Sep 27, 2018, 3:44:41 AM9/27/18
to Mark Giesbrecht, linbo...@googlegroups.com
Apologies, I forgot to push. It's done now.
Clément

Le 26/09/2018 à 23:52, Mark Giesbrecht a écrit :
> Hi Clément,
>
> Did you push the fixed code with the explicit cast to the master branch?  I’m not seeing it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mark
>
> __
> Dr. Mark Giesbrecht, Professor
> David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Canada
> Phone:+1.519.888.4080 <tel:+15198884080>   Email:m...@uwaterloo.ca <mailto:m...@uwaterloo.ca>
> URL:https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mwg <https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/%7Emwg>
>

>> On Sep 26, 2018, at 4:05 PM, Clement Pernet <clement...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:linbo...@googlegroups.com> <mailto:linbo...@googlegroups.com>.

Pascal Giorgi

Sep 27, 2018, 4:15:41 AM9/27/18
to linbox-use
Hi,

ok I missed this one since it is in our online order basis algorithm and this one was not suitably tested.
Your fix is good and I modified the test suite for order basis to provide a larger class of check.

Unfortunately, our online order basis (OPMBasis) is not working properly.
I removed it from the test suite and I opened an issue for this.

Mark, if you want to use order basis code please prefer to use PMBasis rather than OPMbasis.

Best.
Pascal.