Migration to git and github

Clement Pernet

Jun 5, 2015, 9:51:39 AM6/5/15
to linbox...@googlegroups.com
To all LinBox developers,

We have to think of replacement for the linalg.org server, hosting not only linbox svn & trac but
also fflas-ffpack svn & trac.

As a starter, we (the fflas-ffpack developers) decided to move fflas-ffpack from svn to git and opt
for hosting it on github.

Since fflas-ffack shares the same ecosystem as LinBox and Givaro, we'd like to suggest that LinBox
makes a similar move.

Jean-Guillaume (in lead dev of Givaro) is already willing to make this move for Givaro.

In case we decided to go for it, we would create a github organization hosting the 3 repositories.
The role of an organization is to have repos attached to a community and not a single individual. See
https://github.com/blog/674-introducing-organizations

Then we would need a name for this org.
I suggest we call it linbox or linbox-group, or something like that, as linbox is probably the most
visible name in this ecosystem.

So the two main questions here are

1. is it ok to move linbox to git ?
2. is it ok to host a mirror on github?
3. decide on a name for the common organization hosting linbox fflas-ffpack and givaro. Proposition:
linbox or linbox-group

Cheers

Clément

B Saunders

Jun 8, 2015, 9:43:49 AM6/8/15
to linbox...@googlegroups.com
How about linbox-suite or linbox-plus?

Alexis Breust

Jun 8, 2015, 10:03:19 AM6/8/15
to linbox...@googlegroups.com
Some acronyms for fun:
LAST = Linear Algebra Suite Tools
ECLAT = Exact Computational Linear Algebra Team

B Saunders

Jun 8, 2015, 12:17:20 PM6/8/15
to linbox...@googlegroups.com

I like Éclat a lot.   Unfortunately there is already a github project of that name.

Best,
-dave

--
Prof. B. David Saunders, 302-831-6238, CIS Department, University of Delaware

Clement Pernet

Jun 9, 2015, 2:42:58 AM6/9/15
to linbox...@googlegroups.com
I like Dave's suggestion: linbox-suite.

Clément

Le 08/06/2015 18:17, B Saunders a écrit :

> I like Éclat a lot. Unfortunately there is already a github project of that name.
>

> Best,
> -dave
>
> --
> Prof. B. David Saunders, 302-831-6238, CIS Department, University of Delaware
>
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Alexis Breust <alexis...@gmail.com
> <mailto:alexis...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Some acronyms for fun:
> LAST = Linear Algebra Suite Tools
> ECLAT = Exact Computational Linear Algebra Team
>
> --

B Saunders

Jun 9, 2015, 9:41:57 AM6/9/15
to linbox...@googlegroups.com
Do you want to move website hosting as well?  (givaro, fflaspack, linbox)

UDel support (i.e. Bryan) wants to know whether or not to pursue an upgrade to the linalg.org host at UD.

Best,
-dave

Jean-Guillaume Dumas

Jun 9, 2015, 9:47:44 AM6/9/15
to linbox...@googlegroups.com
On 09/06/2015 15:41, B Saunders wrote:
Do you want to move website hosting as well?  (givaro, fflaspack, linbox)

UDel support (i.e. Bryan) wants to know whether or not to pursue an upgrade to the linalg.org host at UD.
hum, as you want. I would like to keep the "linalg.org" name in any case.
Otherwise, I like the hosting at udel ...
Yours,
--
					Jean-Guillaume Dumas.
Jean-Guill...@imag.fr                   Tél.: +33 476 514 866

Gavin Harrison

Jun 9, 2015, 10:55:22 AM6/9/15
to linbox...@googlegroups.com
I just want to make a few side notes.  We can move the repo without losing the SVN history by cloning the repo with git-svn, then adding the github repo as a new remote, and finally pushing to that repo.

Also, we should expand the README's of each project, as github will generate the content under the project browser from the README file using markdown.

Also may be a good time to review some git best practices.

Thanks,
Gavin

B Saunders

Jun 9, 2015, 11:23:48 AM6/9/15
to linbox...@googlegroups.com
OK.  Let's keep the hosting where it is for a while, at least.

For future reference, we can use our domain name with github.
Github has some restrictions (static pages only) not likely to be bothersome, but restrictions nonetheless.

Best,
-dave

--
Prof. B. David Saunders, 302-831-6238, CIS Department, University of Delaware

Jean-Guillaume Dumas

Jun 29, 2015, 8:26:18 AM6/29/15
to linbox...@googlegroups.com, ffpack...@googlegroups.com
Migration to github has been decided.
We plan to do it for givaro/fflas-ffpack and LinBox, this Wednesday,
July 1st, 2015.
Any objections ?
Best,

Jean-Guillaume Dumas

Jun 29, 2015, 8:55:27 AM6/29/15
to linbox...@googlegroups.com, ffpack...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
there is a growing agenda in
http://linalg.org/projects/linalg/wiki/grenobox,
if you want to contribute ?
We can also skype for instance at some given time if needed ...
Yours,