lets get into 2012

Troy Tuttle

Oct 30, 2012, 11:57:53 PM10/30/12
to LimitedWIPSocietyKC
All,
I've been meaning to get our group on a better collaboration/social platform for a while, but just haven't spent the time to make it happen.  Google groups is ok for notifications and discussion, but it's a bit like organization a group with 2007ish tools.

I've been contemplating a move to Meetup.com. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with it? Any recommendations for other platforms? Should we leverage a LinkedIn group too?

I'm looking for some ideas.

Thanks!
Troy

Andrew Dunkman

Oct 31, 2012, 2:55:30 PM10/31/12
to limitedwi...@googlegroups.com
I have a bit of insight, for once! :)

When starting NodeKC earlier this year, we tried to start with free tools (mostly Google Groups). We ended up moving to Meetup, which tripled our group size.

Meetup is awesome at automatic reminders. By default, it notifies group members of new meetups, when a meetup is one week away and you haven't RSVP'd, and day-of. It's super helpful for our group, as we suck at reminders in general.

The tools themselves aren't really that great (think 2010-ish), but I think it's worth the money if only for the automated reminders and greater exposure.

I find LinkedIn to be cluttered and hard to use in general, and so I have a hesitation to moving to that network.

Andrew

Jeremy Mason

Oct 31, 2012, 3:47:49 PM10/31/12
to limitedwi...@googlegroups.com
I agree that Meetup sounds like a great option, and worth the small expense to sign up the group.

As an attendee, since a lot of the tech groups in the KC area (NodeKC, UpFront KC, and a few others) are already on Meetup, it's much easier when I can track them all in the same place.

Jeremy

--

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius

Justin

Oct 31, 2012, 6:54:44 PM10/31/12
to limitedwi...@googlegroups.com
Meetup isn't bad at all if you want to try to improve membership.  It does have a nominal fee though.  Other obvious options are LinkedIn, Facebook, and Google+.  I'm part of a social Meetup group that moved to Facebook so they wouldn't have to pay fees to run it and it included setting up events, broadcasting to the group, etc.  As an IT professional I hate to ask anyone to "Join Facebook", but the truth of it is most of us are already on there anyway and moving to Meetup requires someone to create an account their as well.

tl;dr - Meetup works great, Facebook does about the same for free.

~Justin

Troy Tuttle

Oct 31, 2012, 11:18:25 PM10/31/12
to LimitedWIPSocietyKC
Great feedback guys! Not too many surprises though, your sentiments reflect my take as well.  I'm leaning towards Meetup for the central information hub, but use social media like LinkedIn and Facebook for exposure.  It seems the compelling reason for Meetup is the cross-pollination that occurs from other groups.

In general, does anyone have any suggestions for further promoting the group? I'm looking for people interested in helping expand our reach.  I've been considering a second monthly meeting, possibly the downtown area.  Would there be interest from people who work in downtown or North KC?

Troy

Andrew Dunkman

Oct 31, 2012, 11:20:19 PM10/31/12
to limitedwi...@googlegroups.com
I live downtown, so any sort of after-hours meetup I'd be interested in. It'd be a bit harder for me to drive into town for lunch though, as I'm out in Prairie Village for work.

Andrew

Cory House

Oct 31, 2012, 11:39:26 PM10/31/12
to limitedwi...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure a downtown meeting would go well. I have some connections at firms downtown including Barkley and VML if you're interested. I bet either would be willing to host as a recruiting opportunity.

I also agree a move to Meetup is a great idea to help drive growth.

Cory
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to limitedwipsocietykc+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Jeremy Mason

Oct 31, 2012, 11:43:48 PM10/31/12
to limitedwi...@googlegroups.com

Since our office moved downtown last year, I haven't been able to attend the regular lunch meetings in Overland Park so I would be very interested in joining a group downtown, even if it was just every once in a while.

I'm curious to see where this discussion goes, and I'm hoping there's a handful of techies downtown who feel the same way.

Ryan Langton

Nov 1, 2012, 9:07:03 AM11/1/12
to limitedwi...@googlegroups.com
I'd be fine with Facebook or Meetup.  Either would be an improvement from a google group :)

Marcellus Stewart

Nov 1, 2012, 2:14:40 PM11/1/12
to limitedwi...@googlegroups.com
Troy,

I live about 10 minutes south of downtown KC, so I would definitely be interested in going to meetings in the downtown KC area.  I wouldn't be able to go to the Overland Park meetings very often because I work in Kansas City.  The downtown area would be a very great idea!  I know there are a lot of IT organizations in the area; such as DST, and The City of Kansas City IT Department.

Once I get a good start on my IT career, I would like to start a small Software Development Business in the downtown area; so having our group members meeting there would really help out a lot.

-- Marcellus

Troy Tuttle

Nov 8, 2012, 9:52:06 AM11/8/12
to LimitedWIPSocietyKC
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I appreciate the interest. I will be moving the group to Meetup for sure.  I will kick it off by doing a mass import of the members on this list. Well, maybe not "mass" since we don't have that many people subscribed. But you get my meaning.  If you wish to not have your email address imported to the new Meetup group, please let me know now.

I will be working on a downtown location for an alternating LWS Lean Coffee format, but it probably won't happen in 2012. I think we can try for one meeting in OP and one meeting in downtown each month. But I will be asking for some help on spreading the word and a minimum level of commitment from folks who would like to see the additional location added.  More info to come...

And just a reminder about the next LWS meeting, Friday, Nov. 18.  This is your chance to hear from Dan Vacanti, who ran the very first Kanban for software implementation with David Anderson.  He's quite knowledgeable, and will provide some valuable insights for our group.

Troy