Opinions About Kanban/Scrum Boards?

Benjamin Barreth

Mar 1, 2013, 12:04:45 PM3/1/13
to limitedwi...@googlegroups.com, kcdo...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks,

I'm working on a blog post of a comparison list between some of the popular scrum/kanban boards out there. Does anyone have any strong opinions on good/bad boards they could share with me?
I had no idea there were so many boards out there. It's a little ridiculous! These are the boards I'm thinking of looking comparing:

Physical whiteboard with stickies

Lee

Mar 1, 2013, 2:34:45 PM3/1/13
to kcdo...@googlegroups.com, limitedwi...@googlegroups.com
I've used LeanKit mostly. They were one of the first around and still the best AFAIC. I did not know about a lot of these though. I've used Trello, AgileZen and Kanbanery. Of those three AgileZen was my favorite. Not sure what Rally has done with it since they bought it, though.

I use LeanKit boards for Work, personal and managing KCDC tasks FWIW.

~Lee

Troy Tuttle

Mar 2, 2013, 5:02:06 PM3/2/13
to kcdo...@googlegroups.com, LimitedWIPSocietyKC
Hi Ben,
I think it depends on your needs.  Do you need something that is mostly a visual collaboration tool, or do you need something that keeps metrics for you?

If your interested in a tool that supports Lean software metrics, I would start with something like Leankit or Target Process.  If you are mainly needing visual collaboration, then you have a bunch of options like Trello, AgileZen, etc.

Troy

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Benjamin Barreth <websi...@gmail.com> wrote:

darren...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2013, 9:44:47 AM3/3/13
to kcdo...@googlegroups.com, limitedwi...@googlegroups.com

I've also used LeanKit in the past, which I eventually landed on after looking through a chunk of systems on that big list.  I picked them due to cost ($5 per user per month), the unlimited boards for paid accounts, and their hands-off approach to project management.  They suggest and assist in the Kanban process (as far as I can tell), but you can do it as little or as much as you want.  I liked the UI of other apps, but the limit on the number of boards can be pretty limiting.

However, I have to say -- after doing that for a year or so, we're now using a physical board for "current" apps and Github issues and/or Trello for auxiliary projects and tasks.  It's hard to explain, but having the board on the wall gives it more meaning than when it was just another screen on our monitor.

Darren

Troy Tuttle

Mar 3, 2013, 3:31:23 PM3/3/13
to kcdo...@googlegroups.com, LimitedWIPSocietyKC
Nice explanation and +1 on the physical board comment. It seems like the best advice is to strive for a physical board where possible, and only go digital when absolutely necessary.

Brandon Winchester

Mar 4, 2013, 8:14:44 AM3/4/13
to limitedwi...@googlegroups.com, kcdo...@googlegroups.com
When I speak with people about what we use, LeanKit, they are often concerned with tracking bugs via other trackers, like JIRA. LeanKit has an option to number your cards with a JIRA number and then providing a prefix URL that appends the tracking number to link to your tracker. Usually they are then more concerned with using more than one tracking tool.

We use LeanKit pro features, such as tagging multiple developers on stories and the class of service flags. Class of service flags allow us to tag stories with the target customer within a product.

Not saying LeanKit is the best, but it's what we use. A few years ago, when we decided to switch boards, a few stuck with Agile Zen, but most products switched to LK because of the $5 cost per user, as stated before.

The CEO of LK has been really responsive with our needs for the service too. I actually have had several phone calls and a video tutorial by the CEO of LK when I couldn't get it to do some things I wanted. He showed me some alternative ways and also incorporated some features for us. They also allowed us to trial the Pro version for free until the features were out of Beta.