Some questions (subtitle, calender, offlinesupport for the Android app)

TheStumpyofPain

Jan 29, 2017, 11:26:38 AM1/29/17
to LimboMedia
Hi
Thank you for the program.
I have a few questions about it.

First Question:
In this thread, you said that you are working on the subtitle support.
How is the current status? I often see * .mkv with ASS subtitles, which are unfortunately not supported yet.

Second Question:
I personally think that the program lacks a calendar, in which you can enter important dates.

Third Question:
I use the Android App to connect to my server.
The problem I have is that I am not always connected to the internet.
Without internet, i cant connect to my server (obviously).
Without the connection to my server its not possible to write any "todo´s", "notes" ...
Is it possible to change the android app, so that i can write a "note, "todo" ... without a connection and as soon as i connect to the server, the note will be transfered to it?

Stumpy

LimboMedia

Jan 31, 2017, 5:12:24 PM1/31/17
to LimboMedia
Hi stumpy,

first of all thanks for your feedback and ideas.

Status of subtitle support:
When it comes to subtitles there're multiple aspects to mention:
- First of all, we do not support external subtitles at all (meaning subtitles stored in extra files beside the videofile itself) but subtitles within the video file. For mkv's i'd recommend MKVToolnix to merge external subtitles into the video file.
- When playing the original video files (either via UPnP/DLNA or Android app) we simply pass-through the video file so it's up to the DLNA device or android player app, which subtitle formats are supported.
- When using the Web Interface there's support for SRT (easiest and most popular format) and WebVTT subtitles. Here we'd really like to support some more formats but there's simply no browser or library out there supporting more formats.

Calendar
We already thought about a calendar and contact/addressbook feature too, but most people we know rely on the big cloud services of google, apple  and microsoft with really good integration in mobile devices, that we'll never achive. So maybe if there're some more user requests we'll think about these features again.

App-Offline support
We already thought about a kind of offline support especially to check/uncheck todos or create new notes. Since we want to keep our "always online" principle instead of building complex synchronization mechanisms, we yet don't know how exactly to implement that, but it's on our list ... even if there're some more file browsing/management features with higher priority at the moment.

Hope these answers helps you even if we might not realize everything ;)