Problems with video playback at 720p or 1080p

Chris Scholz

Dec 4, 2015, 6:56:00 AM12/4/15
to LimboMedia
I installed LimboMedia on a VPS (Windows) at my dedicated root server. If I try now to play a video it works great at 360p. The playback works smooth as long as I don't switch to 720p or 1080p.
Are there any possibilities to achieve a smooth playback at 720p? I don't want to pre-transcode the videos.
The internet connection isn't the problem, also the cpu isn't overloaded.

LimboMedia

Dec 14, 2015, 6:02:31 AM12/14/15
to LimboMedia
Hi Chris,

sorry for that late answer, but the team had some vacation and some other things to do within the last weeks ;)

You're right with your problem. We've also noticed that CPU utilization isn't that optimal when transcoding videos. Seems like some defaults in our underlying encoder (ffmpeg) changed for webm video encoding.
We'll try to adjust our settings and make them some kind of configurable. Even if video transcoding (especially in 720p and 1080p) is always a hard task for a CPU, utilization should be at a maximum.

I hope we can work it out and get out a new beta containing these changes within the next days. I'll inform you, when we're done, so hopefully you could do some beta-testings on your machine.

Thanks
Thomas